• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ankasa NP - any recent visitors? (1 Viewer)

Jens Thalund

Hi,
I'll be heading to Ghana in September, and a couple days at Ankasa NP is part of my initial itinerary. I've read a travel report, dating back a few years now, where they camped inside the park, which would be ideal for me, as I'm going independently and backpacker-style. I'm aware that facilities are more or less non-existent there, but as long as the birding is good, that won't concern me too much.
More recent reports seem to indicate, that visiting has become harder, with the road into the park being overgrown, but I would like to hear if someone with more up-to-date information, can shed some light on the situation there.

Jens

I'm told by friends who were there in April 2014 that you CANNOT camp in the park now, unlike in April 2013 when I was there. You have to camp on the park edge. This is obviously not so good for dawn, dusk or nightbirds but I guess you just have to make extra effort. I'm not sure the road is driveable either - even with a good 4WD drive last year we only just made it/

good luck, it's a great site for UG endemics

cheers, alan

I went with BirdQuest in April of 2012. We switched from our minivan to 4x4's when we got to the park, but I didn't see any issues about the road into the park at that time (see the photos) until you got a few km in. After that it wasn't passable even in the 4x4's. We walked a km or so from the end of passable road to get to a few ponds which were good for kingfishers.

Most of us stayed at a small place called the Hotel Gracia in Half Assini. But there are "Tourist Camps" shown on the park map. I think we ate our picnic lunches at one of them. They were basically a clearing with a wooden building that had a cot or two in it.

Attachments

• The Road in Ankasa Compressed.jpg
    The Road in Ankasa Compressed.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Ankasa Gate Compressed.jpg
    Ankasa Gate Compressed.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 59
  • One of the 4x4s Comp.jpg
    One of the 4x4s Comp.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the replies,

It was mentioned in the Bradt Guide, that things might have changed in mid 2013 concerning camping at the central Nkwanta camp, and that unfortunately seems to be true.

Well - I'll have to try an enter as early as possible from the gate, and see what can be done. At least I don't have to worry about too much disturbance from traffic;)

Jens

The vicinity of Nkwanta camp is good for Nklengu Rail (seen within 50 yards of the clearing at roost) and Akun Eagle Owl (motsly canopy and hard to see, back along main track). The track through the bamboo cathedral is worth a check for Rufous Fishing Owl but I'm not aware that anyone has seen it recently - also White-crested Tiger-heron, similarly.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen Sandy Scops Owl lately but this of course could be anywhere. Nklengu Rail is common by voice at dusk but you have to be lucky and have one call nearby so you can get close to its roost site before it shuts up.

cheers, alan

I was there recently in April 14 and we camped inside the park, just behind the gate. The campsite was organised by Ashanti Tours (we booked the tour with them) and it was quite confortable. There is no other accomodation in the park at the moment. As you can see on the picture, compared with 2012, the gate doesn't look the same anymore....
Maybe you can try to contact Ashanti to see if there is a possibility to stay in their camp.
The road to Ankasa is under construction at the moment and you will need more time than indicated in trip reports or travel guides. However, it's the Chinese who build it and so they might be finished by now....
The road inside the park was ok, cars could easily go to Bamboo Cathedral. After that, the roads are getting much worse but we walked that part.

André

Attachments

• ankasa1.jpg
    ankasa1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 73
  • ankasa2.jpg
    ankasa2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 65
Hi André,

how early were you allowed to enter the park, and could you do it without a ranger in tow? I read anoher report, where they had to have a ranger accompany them, who was very unwilling to do it on foot, and in the end blew them off for an early entry!

Jens

Hi André,

how early were you allowed to enter the park, and could you do it without a ranger in tow? I read anoher report, where they had to have a ranger accompany them, who was very unwilling to do it on foot, and in the end blew them off for an early entry!

Jens

We started early every day. As we were inside the park and with a guide from Ashanti everything was sorted out beforehand. A ranger drove us to Bamboo Cathedral in the morning and then we could go on just with our guide.
We met some other birders and they had to have a ranger with them. But I have no idea how early they were allowed to get in. It's certainly worth to try and contact the park authorities before you arrive.

André

Going through the Bradt guide to Ghana, I came across a site in western Ghana, approx. 120 km west of Kumasi, called Asumura, which sounds pretty interesting. It was the place where Picathartes was rediscovered in 2003 and there is lots of forest within walking distance from the village, where there are even a couple of budget guesthouses.
It doesn't seem that many birders have been here, as Picathartes are mostly seen at the Bonkro village site between Kakum and Kumasi on the usual birding circiut, but does anyone here on BF know more about the birds around Asumura? Could it potentially be used as a back up site to Ankasa?

Jens

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back