• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

annual tyke meet, bridlington sku cruise (1 Viewer)

captaincarot

i've been asked by keith to get the ball rolling on this as he's a bit busy at the mo.
so is anyone interested in the usual shinannigans, i'm sure we will drop on with a long tailed skua beating last years pom and actually landing on the boat this year ;)
RSPB Skua and Shearwater cruise

sailing days this year are

Saturday 31 August at 9.00am

Saturday 7 September at 10.30am

Sunday 15 September at 9.00am

Saturday 21 September at 10.30am

Sunday 29 September at 8.30am

Saturday 5 October at 9.30am

tickets 20 quid per adult.

Still miffed that I had to miss out on last year's cruise. Bloody Poms [to be said in Australian accent].

Saw my first Long-tailed from the Belle on 19/9/1988 and the boat chased it about a bit as it loafed on the water.

Still miffed that I had to miss out on last year's cruise. Bloody Poms [to be said in Australian accent].

Saw my first Long-tailed from the Belle on 19/9/1988 and the boat chased it about a bit as it loafed on the water.

The Pom was good at the time, but recently voted not photogenic enough to be included on my own 2014 Calendar!

Must have some harsh judges Michael. I was suitably impressed with the 'back of the camera' pictures when I stumbled back to the harbour.

Fea's Petrel will do nicely this year

I'm definitely in. I think we went late sept last time but I'm good for any of those dates really.

Shocked about the Pom not being photogenic enough. It's a cracking bird and a really 'different' bird. Might have to vote with my wallet for 2014 ;)

7th would be my preference but I haven't booked anything yet and can work around any date but 15th at the moment.

Is anyone going on one of the cruises this year? I'll be going but holding off booking til everyone makes their mind up!

Not sure why this one seems to be dead on its feet? Anyway i've booked on the 21st if anyone fancies joining (this weekends is sold out).

I would love to go on one of these cruises. When is usually the best time to go on them and under what weather conditions?

Any because it it always a good day out. If you are looking to go on spec then I would suggest listening to the shipping forecast or reading it online

the answerphone number last year was 01262850959 - it should be the same this year. Ring that the night before and if the trip is cancelled it will say. That way you don't make the trip for nowt.
Still hoping to get to one of these but am having more work to do with the conference than I was expecting, 2 members of committee being hors de combat, leaves only 3 people to do all the organisation etc.

I would love to go on one of these cruises. When is usually the best time to go on them and under what weather conditions?

I've never been on one and not seen something good, even on the relatively quiet ones, so don't stress about conditions and just book. I've never been on one and not seen either a skua or shearwater, and usually both. Some get cancelled if the weather's deemed too dangerous to take the boat out, but they decide on the night before, and out of about eight I've been on, only one's been cancelled.

That is good. I did not want the main passage to be in early September as I will be booking towards the end. I will be staying the night most likely.

In terms of sea birds i have seen Great Skua, Arctic Skua, Manx Shearwater and the cliff nesting species around Bempton. In fact I got my first British Great Skua at Bempton in mid-June. So any Petrels, Shearwaters, Skuas are more than welcome :p

I've been on these about 15 times and have yet to have one cancelled, I've even been out on one when the fret came in and we couldn't see a foot in front of the boat.

That is good. I did not want the main passage to be in early September as I will be booking towards the end. I will be staying the night most likely.

In terms of sea birds i have seen Great Skua, Arctic Skua, Manx Shearwater and the cliff nesting species around Bempton. In fact I got my first British Great Skua at Bempton in mid-June. So any Petrels, Shearwaters, Skuas are more than welcome :p

If you don't see Kittiwake, Gannet, Shag, Fulmar, Razorbill and Guillemot you've got your eyes closed. I think I've had a Great Skua on all but one of the cruises I've been on, Arctic Skua and Manx Shearwater on most, Sooty and Balearic Shears on one, and Pom Skua on one, Arctic and Black Tern on a couple, Little Gull on a few, Roseate Tern on one, Sabine's Gull on one, Puffin and Common Scoter on most, Red-breasted Merganser on one. Almost guaranteed seals and porpoises.

...Basically you'll get something. ;)

Petrels are very unlikely, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back