• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another shot of unusual Heron, Uk. (1 Viewer)

karpman

Hello,

I would of posted this on previous thread started Wednesday but that is long and ran it's course.

This is another take on a unusual Heron which I would like opinions, It has pretty much been established this is NOT a Purple heron as first thought but an interesting bird non the less.

Many Thanks.

Karpman

Attachments

• Kelham Bridge heron 2.jpg
    Kelham Bridge heron 2.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 294
Nope not at present.
This picture was not taken by me, But I do have permission to post it here.

Cheers

Karpman

Are those tints on the legs and underparts caused by light effects? And the "folded" neck seems very jutting and "angular." The visible coverts could match a PH (even though it has been established as NOT one!), but the upper forewing is not visible. Unfortunately. What concerns me is that the feet look very small. Not the big bunches that stick out from behind a PH.
On this photo alone?I'm sold on the feet details and I'm inclined towards GH. And perhaps the other features mentioned are down to angle, light and capture....

Hey mate,

Those tints "buffish orange" were present and noted on the bird, The feet did look a little larger and a longer toe noted. But as far as I am aware also noted to be very Gh like in form.

Karpman

Hey mate,

Those tints "buffish orange" were present and noted on the bird, The feet did look a little larger and a longer toe noted. But as far as I am aware also noted to be very Gh like in form.

Karpman

Some odd looking Greys knocking about up your way Karpman!

Some odd looking Greys knocking about up your way Karpman!

Indeed appears to be the case! Trying to pin down what makes this bird odd as much as anything, A natural slip in the gene pool, Captive release, Or Hybridization perhaps.

It appears to getting termed as "Just a grey heron" around here which I feel is rather unfitting for such an unusual bird, Luckily there is still some clever bods interested in the creature.

Karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back