• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Jamaica (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this website, and very excited to try it out!
Hoping to get your help with bird ID's from Jamaica in January.

Most of the pictures that I am struggling with are REALLY bad quality..... I apologize! ID's may not even be possible, but I thought I would give posting on here a shot anyway.

The first bird was a swallow or swift high up above the resort in the evening.... Possible Antillean Palm-Swift?

Second bird..... Great-tailed Grackle?

Third bird...... This is a hard sell!..... I'm pretty sure it was a Cuckoo of some kind. All you can see in the picture I have taken is the SUPER blurred, long tail of the bird. (In the center of the photo.) You can kind of see the white circular pattern on the tail though, which makes me think either Mangrove Cuckoo or Jamaican Lizard-Cuckoo. The white edging on the tail, and the behavior, (moving really quickly along the tree branches), make me think Jamaican Lizard-Cuckoo? I also heard the bird call, and I would say it was the Jamaican Lizard-Cuckoo call.....

Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• IMG_8158.JPG
    IMG_8158.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8162.JPG
    IMG_8162.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
I can't tell you what 1) is (perhaps no-one can), but I can say it's a swallow or more likely a Martin. The wing shape is wrong for any kind of swift---including small types like Vaux's

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back