• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Warbler: Nashville Warbler? Clarksville, TN 24 Sept 21 (2 Viewers)

hamlinjk15u

United States
Been looking through Sibleys and Stokes for about the last hour, heres what I have come up with:

Looks to have a dark (gray) head all around, down to the neck. Yellow chest and down the sides. Gray belly and undertail coverts. I believe I can see a white eyering in pic 3 also. Only thing thats off is pic 2 looks to have a yellow throat. im wondering if its a lighting issues with the other 4? or just this one? this isnt another bird I am almost completely certain, as far as I could tell there was only 1 bird there. Seems odd.

My thoughts are that ive narrowed it down to three species as best I can tell:
Connecticut Warbler: Has the gray head and white eyering, yellow looks to encompass the sides , breast, belly, and undertail coverts, so im thinking this may be ruled out

Mourning Warbler: Similar to above, especially lacking eyering and yellow all over underneath.

Nashville Warbler: With the possibility of the yellow throat and white eyering, in addition to the other features noted seen really only in pic 4, this may be the highest probability. Looking like drab first year.

your thoughts please

Attachments

• DSC_0214.JPG
    DSC_0214.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0211.JPG
    DSC_0211.JPG
    936.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0209.JPG
    DSC_0209.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0205.JPG
    DSC_0205.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 36
It's a Magnolia Warbler. The white (not grey) undertail coverts rule out all three of the species you narrowed it down to. Though none of the photos shows this cleary, due to the lighting conditions, the undertail has a broad black tip with a white base, which is diagnostic for Magnolia Warbler. Also, the second photo shows the typical narrow grey neckband separating the yellow throat from the yellow breast of a Magnolia Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back