• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antifog (1 Viewer)

Western Tanager

I moved to Arkansas last October from the Pacific NW so this is my 1st summer in the heat and humidity of the south. I went out birding this morning and immediately upon stepping pout of the car the lens of my Sony RX10-IV fogged up. Interestingly my binocular did not. I have not treated my binocular with antifog in many months. Not since moving here for sure anyway since it is packed away in a storage unit. I have never treated the camera lens with antifog but it seems clear (ha ha) that I need to do that. Fortunately the lens did dry out after a while and I got some good pics of a Painted Bunting.

Anyway I wonder if any of you all have a favorite antifog that works well and seems to last a while after being treated. What kind of cloth should be used to avoid scratching the lens.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Avoid storing your camera in AC environment, and if you do, pack it in a bag you place in the trunk of your car so that there is no temperature difference between lens and air when you want to use the camera.
Niels

I don't remember what I used in the past on my binocular. I haven't used any type of antifog yet on my camera.

Good tip about temperature. Unfortunately we have an SUV and a pickup, so no trunk in either vehicle.

I don't remember what I used in the past on my binocular. I haven't used any type of antifog yet on my camera.

Good tip about temperature. Unfortunately we have an SUV and a pickup, so no trunk in either vehicle.
...then leave caps on and keep binos against your body.

The fogging is glass that is cooler than ambient, so that dew-point is reached - easy in high relative humidity conditions. Anything you can do to get optics at ambient temp before exposing the glass to air, helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back