• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Forum Members Recently Pull The Trigger And Purchase A Cabelas Euro HD Clearance 10x32 Or 10x42 Binocular ? (1 Viewer)

I pulled the trigger on the 8x32 and haven't spent enough time with them to give my full thoughts but a quick summary:

Places where it shines:
  • Excellent stray light control. My last 8x32 I sold because there was just too much veiling glare when working with the sky visible (hawke frontier edx). These have practically no glare. In order to get any showing of glare I had to look almost right at the sun near sunset and decenter my eyes from the exit pupils. These are the best mid-sized binoculars I have used with regards to glare.
  • Center sharpness is very good. Outpunches for it's price for sure
  • Focuser has no slack, is precise, and an appropriate amount of damping. One could complain about a slight rasping noise while turning but out in the world I haven't noticed it. Reminiscent of an old trinovid BA I had.
  • Build quality seems quite robust, feels good and balanced in the hand
  • Slight pincushion distortion. I'm never really bothered by "rolling ball" and that remains the case here
  • Wide FOV
Places where they fine:
  • CA is well controlled on axis but comes in fast away from the center of the FOV and is pretty high on the edge. Not bothersome when your target is centered but banning the boughs in the forest got definite strong flashes of branches against the sky in the outer parts of the FOV.
  • Edge sharpness is ok. I don't really care about edge sharpness but it is definitely not flat field. Some amount of curvature can be focused away, but also coma and astigmatism creep in on the edge. I would say no part of the FOV is unusable as I can still see movement there and that is what matters to me.
  • Brightness and color seem fine. This is highly subjective form person to person but to me they look slightly warm but plenty bright.
The bad:
  • The eyecups are too small and too short. I need to furrow my brow and press up to get the proper eye placement. I plan to try the ultravid eyecups as mentioned by Eitan in this forum.
As of writing this the 8x32's are back in the bargain cave.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back