• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any fungi about? (7 Viewers)

Great pics Fungbot - i saw some similar to pic 4 growing out of a tree about 15 feet up yesterday, but it had whitish `rings` on it making it look layered

Fungbot said:
Can anyone help with the id the 'brown furry fungus' growing on spruce needles and a rotten stump, the cut section was white with fibrous strands radiating outwards. Not like any earthball.

Fungbot

Hi Fungbot. Great photographs!

Your mystery fungus on the spruce debris is the asexual ('imperfect') stage of the bracket, Oligoporus ptychogaster (formerly Tyromyces ptychogaster).
This asexual stage also has its own name: Ptychogaster fuliginoides.

It starts off white, but soon turns brownish and becomes a powdery mass of brown chlamydospores. It is said usually to be followed by the sexual stage, soft white brackets of variable shape, much like other 'Tyromyces' species before the genus was split up. In my own experience this asexual stage is much more common.
Or more conspicuous?

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks Alan

I will try and find it in my books. Have seen quite a few Tyromyces spp. but this asexual stage fooled me. Very useful having an expert on Birdforum!

John

Fungbot

Fungbot/John

Those are nice photos you posted. The first though does not look typical for B. appendiculatus. The ones I see have a more yellow and red stem, and redder cap cuticle. I would be more inclined to wonder about B. impolitus, though I must admit that it is not possible to be sure either way from a photo. The shape of the stem is rather typical of B. impolitus. Also B. impolitus has an anti-septic smell esp. at the base when cut, and B. appendiculatus (to my nose) smells of smoky bacon when dried, though I have never heard it described that way elsewhere. Most people describe the smell as spicy. It's a very tasty species (B. appendiculatus), but sadly should not be eaten as it is so rare.

I was down on Dartmoor last weekend, and found B. calopus, Chanterelle, B. erythropus and an unidentified bolete rather like Tylopipus felleus but with yellowish pores. Most were growing from earth banks at the side of roads.

Today I was in the New Forest and I found Giant Polypore, B. subtomentosus, Chanterelle, Leccinum crocipodium, B. albidus (see photo), Green Cups (see photo), Wood Woolly Foot, Phaeolus schweinitzii, and various Russula, though nowhere were fungi common.

Leif

Attachments

• Chlorociboria.jpg
    Chlorociboria.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Boletus albidus.jpg
    Boletus albidus.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Found this at side of road.First picture taken yesterday ,second one to-day,both same plant.

Attachments

• IMG_5923 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5923 (Medium).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5935 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5935 (Medium).JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 102
Henry B said:
Found this at side of road.First picture taken yesterday ,second one to-day,both same plant.

Henry: It's a Parasol Mushroom, though I'm not sure of the species. It's definitely not Macrolepiota rhacodes, but it could be Macrolepiota procera, though the colouration seems a bit dark for the species. There are several similar species and I don't find them easy to identify, esp. from a photo. Alan might be more informative.

Leif

Thanks for the info Leif, I would n,t try to say those words never mind spell ,em. Just taking pics of anything interesting with new camera,still learning the ropes so to speak..

It's a record year for fungi in Sweden thanks to a rainy summer. I've seen a lot of ceps and chanterelles for example. Must find the time to get out and pick some!

Your fungi looks like some kind of parasol mushroom, Henry.

Silver said:
Hi Mary,

It would be good to see the gills - I should have suggested that one of the toadstools was picked and turned over before the photographs were taken. However, although the focus isn't great, your fungus looks like it is 'Fairy-Ring Champignon' (Marasmius oreades).
The gills should be pale cream in colour, rather thick and widely spaced, and the whole toadstool should be tough and rubbery. It is a frequent species of lawns and short grass, especially in summer and early autumn, and yes it does grow in very distinct rings.

Alan

That cusp, puts me in mind of Psilocybe, Liberty Cap.

Found these in the woods the other day. Sorry, no idea what they are (the info boards say that there are over 100 species of fungi in the area)

Attachments

• fungi-1.jpg
    fungi-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 104
Adey Baker said:
Found these in the woods the other day. Sorry, no idea what they are (the info boards say that there are over 100 species of fungi in the area)

Honey Fungus. It is a serious parasite of trees. Some people eat them (after boiling and discarding the water to remove the poison) but, as usual, don't eat any fungus without a 100% certain id.

Leif

Leif said:
Honey Fungus. It is a serious parasite of trees. Some people eat them (after boiling and discarding the water to remove the poison) but, as usual, don't eat any fungus without a 100% certain id.

Leif

I think I'll give it a miss, then!

Some parts of the woods are coppiced and kept reasonably tidy whilst other areas are left 'unmanaged' - this was in a part of the woods that has a feeling of 'controlled neglect' about it.

It's hard with thumbnails but they look like Parasols (Lepiota procera) in which case they make excellent eating provided you are certain that's what they are! Over here in Brittany we have had drought conditions for so long that the forest (150 metres from my house) is almost completely barren of fungi. It was the same last year as well and if we don't get substantial rain very soon that will be another season gone!!! Woe indeed. Pam.

Paminfra said:
It's hard with thumbnails but they look like Parasols (Lepiota procera) in which case they make excellent eating provided you are certain that's what they are! Over here in Brittany we have had drought conditions for so long that the forest (150 metres from my house) is almost completely barren of fungi. It was the same last year as well and if we don't get substantial rain very soon that will be another season gone!!! Woe indeed. Pam.
Click on thumb- nail to see bigger picture.. hb

My son and I went down to Bluff Woods Conservation Area just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA, today and found several types of fungi. He was able to identify some of them, but I need to study up on these. Here are a few of them.

Attachments

• mush001b.jpg
    mush001b.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 96
  • Mush006b.jpg
    Mush006b.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Mush008b.jpg
    Mush008b.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Mush009b.jpg
    Mush009b.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Larry Lade said:
My son and I went down to Bluff Woods Conservation Area just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA, today and found several types of fungi. He was able to identify some of them, but I need to study up on these. Here are a few of them.

You fungal flora is somewhat different from ours, but I've had a go;

1) I'm clueless on this one.
2) I could not say on the basis of a photo. The large white ones could be Entoloma sinuatum (pink gills, distinctive spores, poisonous), but they look too small, or a Tricholoma species.
3) A Suillus. It looks rather like S. grevillei, which grows with Larch, but it's probably a related US species.
4) Wood Ear, Jew's Ear, Auricularia auricula judae (spelling?). Very common. eaten by the Chinese (our local takeaway uses it in Hot and Sour Soup).

Leif

Well, I am not certain what the above are. My son, here on a visit from New York, belongs to a Mycological Club there and is learning to identify some of the species of mushrooms. I have only collected morels (in the spring) and oyster mushrooms for eating, so this "going out and looking for mushrooms" is something entirely new to me. I found it rather fascinating though and will be doing it more in the future.

When he checks with some of the club members when my son gets back to New York perhaps I will be able to let you know what kind of mushrooms these are!

Here are four more photos of some of the species we saw today.

Attachments

• Mush011b.jpg
    Mush011b.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Mush012b.jpg
    Mush012b.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Mush015b.jpg
    Mush015b.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Mush026b.jpg
    Mush026b.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 96
Leif, I believe photo #1 and photo #7 are of the same species. Looks to me like you are correct on #4, Auricularia auricula. I believe I know what #6 and #8 are. Photo of #6 is a little fuzzy (I must have jiggled when I took the photo.)

Oh, you might want to take a look at this site. It shows a whole lot of mushrooms found here in the states (with emphasis on the southern state of Georgia). Here

Larry Lade said:
Leif, I believe photo #1 and photo #7 are of the same species. Looks to me like you are correct on #4, Auricularia auricula. I believe I know what #6 and #8 are. Photo of #6 is a little fuzzy (I must have jiggled when I took the photo.)

1) and 7) Very beautiful, but still not a clue.
5) It's certainly a Mycena species. It might be Mycena haematopus, which is fairly common in the UK, though I'm not convinced. Mycena inclinata (specific to Oak I think) is similar, but I've never seen it so pale.
6) That is definitely a fuzzy white blob. No doubt about it.
8) Chanterelle.

Leif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back