• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any idea of this bird? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Location: Mangrove area, Central region of Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
Date: March 2023

Sadly only 1 shot I got. If unable to make a positive ID, perhaps able can tell it likely belong to bulbul/babbler or other family?

Thanks.

PIC-20230301-121015-DSC00187-A7R3.JPG

I was thinking about Finsch's Bulbul because the shape looks quite compact and short-tailed, but the habitat doesn't sound right - Olive-winged would be more likely. I'm not seeing the usual streaked ear coverts, although that could be because it's apparently a young bird. The bill is also a bit stubby for that species. However, the pale yellow throat, green tones on the wing, yellow vent and green under-tail would fit.

I was thinking about Finsch's Bulbul because the shape looks quite compact and short-tailed, but the habitat doesn't sound right - Olive-winged would be more likely. I'm not seeing the usual streaked ear coverts, although that could be because it's apparently a young bird. The bill is also a bit stubby for that species. However, the pale yellow throat, green tones on the wing, yellow vent and green under-tail would fit.
Thank you Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back