• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great or Intermediate Egret? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: March 2023

egrets compare.jpg

I am little confused with Bird #2, can't be sure if it is Great or Intermediate. The gap doesn't extend way behind the eye. Compare to Bird #1, the gap extend pretty visible, therefore, I believe Bird #1 is Great.

There is slight visible dark on the bill tip of Bird #2. Not sure if that can count.

Thank you for any help.

Agree 1 is great and that 2 is tricky. Rounded head, gape extent and apparently short bill favour intermediate. On the other hand, its slightly orange bill colour and angular neck favour great. Posture makes it difficult to assess relative size. On balance I think intermediate

Posture makes it difficult to assess relative size.
It's impossible to assess size, relative or otherwise, regardless of posture.
Look at the fruits behind the bird's legs. Identical.
That doesn't prove anything. I don't see anything to prove that 1 and 2 are the same individual.
2 and 3 are the same individual. Check details of feathers on the forehead.
Head of 2 looks rounded only because it is facing slightly towards us.
All show classic great egret gape-pattern. All are great egret.

My first reaction was similar to John's. If not the same bird, then certainly the same background. Any other pics? Any showing both birds together? I've not seen many Intermediate, but if I saw this (these) bird(s) alarm bells wouldn't ring.

It hasn't moved an inch, it's on the same perch exactly, just twisted its body and neck. It's one bird shot, if not in one sequence, as part of two or three separate ones. Let's see the time stamps on the pictures.

John

Agree 1 is great and that 2 is tricky. Rounded head, gape extent and apparently short bill favour intermediate. On the other hand, its slightly orange bill colour and angular neck favour great. Posture makes it difficult to assess relative size. On balance I think intermediate
I agreed #2 is tricky. I suspected it may be Great but some feathers made me think it may be Intermediate after all.

Bird no.2 is tricky as its neck is coiled, but I think the bill length and breast plumes (indebted to @johnallcock for making me aware of this feature) point to Intermediate.

Agree with Great Egret for no.1.
Thanks Andy.

My first reaction was similar to John's. If not the same bird, then certainly the same background. Any other pics? Any showing both birds together? I've not seen many Intermediate, but if I saw this (these) bird(s) alarm bells wouldn't ring.
It was unfortunate I didn't took much shots of Bird #2. Those posted above were the only ones which best side view angle. Others barely see its face as it was busy preening. Based on the gap, I don't think Bird 1 & 2 were same bird also they were taken separate day. Confirmed same location but cannot confirm if same spot.

It hasn't moved an inch, it's on the same perch exactly, just twisted its body and neck. It's one bird shot, if not in one sequence, as part of two or three separate ones. Let's see the time stamps on the pictures.

John
John, bird #1 was taken a day earlier. It was same location if not same spot which I can't recall. Also I don't think they were same bird as can see clearly the gap for #1 extended way behind the eye whereas #2 not. Bird #1 2023-03-07,09:41:26, Bird #2 2023-03-08,07:55:11. There were quite a number of egrets there, incl Little, Intermediate as well as Great.

That doesn't prove anything. I don't see anything to prove that 1 and 2 are the same individual.
Pic 2, 3 is same individual. Does the gap extend further when it gets older? I'm trying to find some features that confidently pointed it is not Intermediate, though I understand it is quite tricky for limited angle shots of Bird #2.

No: by relative size I meant of the different parts of the same bird (length : body ratio for example. This isn't possible due to posture

John
I can see why you'd think this: the perch is obviously the same. I see differences in head shape, (relative) bill length and gape length between 1 and 2/3. To do so I feel I only have to make minimal mental correction for angles.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back