• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody still out there? (1 Viewer)

Lee Lee

Canada
The posts in this thread are pretty old. Is anyone still currently in the country? Or would like to share any useful pics/recordings from their stay?

Lee, welcome to birdforum! I honestly do not know if we have any active members currently living in DR. I have only visited once, for a couple of weeks several years back.

One link you may or may not know is https://www.todytours.com/ - they may be able to put you in contact with other people locally who are interested in birds. Going out with a guide for an introduction to an area can be a great help.

I hope you have a good field guide for the area. I like the one for Birds of the West Indies by Raffaele.

Hope this helps
Niels

The posts in this thread are pretty old. Is anyone still currently in the country? Or would like to share any useful pics/recordings from their stay?
One more addition: the Merlin bird id app that you were told about is supposed to start supporting identification of sounds as well. Whether that will include the Caribbean from the start? probably not but with some patience.

Niels

I'm still out here. I don't live in DR but am very grateful to Niels for his Tody Tours suggestion. I've been searching for a guide for PN Los Haitises for this November and it's hard to get away from all of the non-birding tourism operators. I really don't want to be taken to a beautiful beach instead of a Ridgway's Hawk. I hope to try out Merlin too...it worked for me in Costa Rica. Niels - are you still out there? If so - thanks for the tip. I've emailed them, will let you know how I get on....

rio

Yes, I am still here but given that I have not visited DR since, I do not have updated knowledge.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back