• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone tried new xh2-s? (2 Viewers)

Pauhana

United States
Any one tried out this camera? Find Fuji interesting as it seems to play well with fringer adapter and adapted lens

Sitting here with a 7D Mk2 and am seriously considering it. Stacked sensor, great autofocus that is adjustable, weather proofed, 30 fps and huge buffer, wide range of existing APS-C lenses and third-party lenses. Also an excellent and affordable 150-600! I have had a morning with the X-H2S and the 150-600 and it is an awesome combination out of the box. I didn't have time to fiddle with the autofocus adjustments but my experience is that the combination was awesome. So it looks like my EF100-400 MK2 may be sold.
People who have tried the fringer are reporting that it is pretty good, maybe better than that.
Personally, if I move away from Canon to this, I will sell the lot and buy native or third party lenses rather than use the fringer adapter.

In a similar spot. Just tried Om1 w oly 100-400. Was impressed. On fence to try Fuji. F8 at long end a sticking point

In a similar spot. Just tried Om1 w oly 100-400. Was impressed. On fence to try Fuji. F8 at long end a stickin
Tbh I have looked at the Oly system and the sensor is that bit too small for my liking although you mileage may differ. The fact that other manufacturers appear to have their doubts about 4/3 and the fact that OLY is owned by a private equity company - the same one that bought and wrecked Sony Vaio - has sort of made that decision for me although your mileage may vary.
If you have a Canon 100-400 Mk2 (I love mine) you could get a fringer adapter and use it on the X-H2S - works well apparently. As for f8 - I often shoot the 100-400 with a 1.4tc making it an f8 with no real problems I would also argue that Fuji (and third party) lenses offer a wider range of options and it appears that Sigma are starting to make them for the X-trans mount.
Crop sensors I know and love. For me, the right balance between reach and ISO ability. Also, I shoot a fair bit of macro and crop sensors seem to work well for this. One thing I do know, it won't be an R7!

Last edited:
Tbh I have looked at the Oly system and the sensor is that bit too small for my liking although you mileage may differ. The fact that other manufacturers appear to have their doubts about 4/3 and the fact that OLY is owned by a private equity company - the same one that bought and wrecked Sony Vaio - has sort of made that decision for me although your mileage may vary.
If you have a Canon 100-400 Mk2 (I love mine) you could get a fringer adapter and use it on the X-H2S - works well apparently. As for f8 - I often shoot the 100-400 with a 1.4tc making it an f8 with no real problems I would also argue that Fuji (and third party) lenses offer a wider range of options and it appears that Sigma are starting to make them for the X-trans mount.
Crop sensors I know and love. For me, the right balance between reach and ISO ability. Also, I shoot a fair bit of macro and crop sensors seem to work well for this. One thing I do know, it won't be an R7!

You've got Panasonic and Leica also on board with 4/3 so I don't think the system is going anywhere, but whether sensor size is big enough or you is a personal decision.

Panasonic has been on the verge of walking away a number of times, it doesn't appear that their heart is in it and I agree, the sensor is size is completely a matter of choice. As for Leica, they make amazing lenses. I aw a Panasonic/Leica lens for 4/3 but no straight Leica lenses (at least on WEX) and no Leica 4/3 cameras.
Look I could be completely wrong, easily but when all the big boys avoid 4/3 and go with crop sensor cameras, it says something.

Look I could be completely wrong, easily but when all the big boys avoid 4/3 and go with crop sensor cameras, it says something.
When I was young, that was the argument for sticking with medium format rather than the small 35 mm film cameras. Then the firms making the smaller format became the big boys. For the last many years the same argument has been used against mirrorless - now the larger format boys are changing their tune.
Niels

When I was young, that was the argument for sticking with medium format rather than the small 35 mm film cameras. Then the firms making the smaller format became the big boys. For the last many years the same argument has been used against mirrorless - now the larger format boys are changing their tune.
Niels
If you look at it from a commercial basis 4/3 has been ignored by all the big manufacturers. OLY are selling a lot of OM1s but they are also discounting a lot of their lenses and cameras to try and get shot. OLY's owners are JIP - look at their previous past performance....... I would never want OLY to disappear and they have developed an excellent camera in the OM1 but that was planned long before JIP - the question is, what will JIP to do? They appear to have lost a lot of their design teams. There is just a tremendous amount of doubt circulating around OLY and 4/3. An alliance of a small number of commercial companies rarely works because each has their own agenda and constraints.
In the meantime, crop sensor cameras have been hit by the chip shortage. Camera companies deciding to try to persuade buyers to go full frame so they can hike the prices. The truth is that there have been a lot of average cameras delivered that hang all their hats on their amazing autofocus - and there is no doubt that the autofocus options now deliver amazing results, even Nikon. Other than the autofocus, little has changed. Are mirrorless cameras and lenses "sharper" than the previous ranges of DSLRs? No. Mirrorless obviously has advantages but it is question whether the sky high prices for cameras and lenses offer good value for money, or are we being made to pay for the lack of sales during Covid?
For what it is worth. Canon have delivered some great, good and disappointing cameras recently and my near 40 year link with them will end, I am sure. The R7 is not the replacement for my aging 7D Mk2 and I see nothing that I want for the photography I do. And the RF lens (although superb) are extortionate. Most of the cameras have been compromised, some more than others and they seem to have lost the plot, at least to my mind.
Sony sits back and has been watching the sales role in on a very competent range of cameras and lenses, (allowing third party lenses unlike Canon's RF mount). Canon has eaten into that, for sure.
Best selling camera in Japan last month............................................ Drum roll..................................................................................... X-H2S! And one thing we all know is that the Japanese know a lot about cameras and small electronics. If they are buying this camera, there is a very good reason, probably more than one.
PS. Meant to mention Mike Riley has a youtube channel. If you want to see a birder learning how to use the X-H2S and the 150-600, try this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCroPb3jYeQaU1o-luEVsJ-A

Last edited:
For those that have any doubts about this camera, try this guys flickr account Mike Riley’s albums | Flickr
He has shot with a number of cameras incuding the R5 but is now shooting with the X-H2S - whilst there is a learning curve, his latest video on your tube is pretty good
and the hummingbird pictures on flickr are imho pretty decent, though he suggests he is still learning the camera.

For anyone who is interested:

The X-H2S is (for me) a resounding success. I have taken time and invested time into setting up the (7!) custom function settings and tweeked these a couple of times and think that I am about there. It is not perfect but so far, it is perfect for me.

Along with the camera, I bought the Fuji XF 16-80mm f/4 R OIS WR to do a few family photos and landscapes this has proved to be a very competent lens and I just need to do more and improve my skills.

I also bought the Fringer EF-FX Pro II Smart Adaptor - this allows me to adapt my Canon lenses to the X-H2S. This is incredibly good. I believe that my Canon EF 100-400mm L Mk2 + 1.4 TC MK3 works better with the X-H2S than it did with my 7D Mk2. It is seemless and I could not hope for it to be better.

Although, it is not meant to work with my (most loved lens) Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD (F017) - it does, and amazingly well. I have tried it with the EF 100mm L Macro Mk2 - this was a disaster. Autofocus was so badly effected, that it was quickly ditched. But the Tamron........... as always, smooth as butter, sharp as a pin.

The stacked sensor is lightning fast and this camera manages 40 fps with easy, no wobbles, no rolling shutter, no blackouts.

There is also the question whether Fuji X-Trans sensors are sharper than the Bayer sensors. Certainly my EF 100-400 L Mk2 is sharper on the X-H2S than it was on my 7D Mk2 (a non-mirrorless camera to be fair) - whether this is down to the X-Trans sensor, I don't know but there is a noticeable difference.

So if you want a stacked sensor, 40 fps, proper weather sealing, wide range of lenses and don't want to pay over £6k - this could be the answer.

i am in the process of selling all my X gear because Fuji refuse to bring their AF/tracking system into the 21st century. So instead of getting a new X-H2x to replace my X-T3 I am going for the Z8 with the new 180-600 + 1.4 TC for my wildlife photography. The other lenses needed will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back