• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone used DBA VHD+ from Opticron (3 Viewers)

I have been handling / repairing binoculars since 1963 and have lost count of the number and types but
my own main binocular is a 10x42 DBA VHD+ and I have no intention of changing it.
I have owned Leicas and Zeiss West in the past and Meopta which was the best of the three
but the Opticron beats them all.
My telescope is an HR 80 GA ED with SDL V2 24x to 72x so I guess I may be a little biased.
As seen on The Repair Shop.

I have only ever looked through them in a shop but I decided that 8x42 is not for me because it only has a 7 degree field of view. Under par compared to many others that are 8 degrees or more. For me a wide view is important.

The Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42 binocular is among one of the most comfortable 42mm binocular that I have ever had the pleasure to use while wearing glasses. The other that comes to mind is the Pentax 8x43mm ED. Both have long eye relief of 22mm, this combined with their eye lens design/size seemed to be the perfect fit for us.

Hi Rufus.

I've owned the 8s and 10s. They are optically very nice, but as mentioned, the 8s only have a 7 degree field of view, so are not very immersive, which is a shame, because it lets the rest of the bin down. I found the 10s were also very good optically, with an apparent fov of 60 degrees, so the view is a bit more immersive, but still not great, and the eye relief is a bit tight if you wear glasses. Both the handling and focusing were very good. The focusing turns anti-clockwise from close to distant, if that's important for you.

Yes, I chose the Imagic BGA VHD over the DBA VHD+ as they felt more immersive and the ergonomics fit my face and hands better, however, I didn’t get on with the anti-clockwise focus. Thankfully the Verano BGA VHD has clockwise focus, a microhinge and great ergonomics. I own the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 which is my favourite. I’d buy a 10x32 if it existed, I prefer the Verano’s over my Swarovskis and Leicas, and have no intention of changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back