• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Opticron binoculars focus clockwise to infinity? (1 Viewer)

Bentley03

United Kingdom
Per the thread title, I'm trying to find out which (if any) current Opticron binocular model lines focus clockwise to infinity. Of the Opticron binoculars I've tested, I've always been blown away by the quality of the optics, but they have all focused anticlockwise to infinity, which is a non starter for me.

Thank you in advance,
James

Per the thread title, I'm trying to find out which (if any) current Opticron binocular model lines focus clockwise to infinity. Of the Opticron binoculars I've tested, I've always been blown away by the quality of the optics, but they have all focused anticlockwise to infinity, which is a non starter for me.

Thank you in advance,
James
I think at least the Traveller 8/10 x32 would as it's based on the Nikon M7 which focuses clockwise to infinity. I think the bga eds might too.

I experienced exactly the same dilemma as yourself with the Opticron Imagic BGA VHD, I believe some people are able to adjust, I couldn’t. I currently own 3 pairs of Opticron Verano BGA VHD, they all focus clockwise to infinity and are a dream to handle.

No optical device can focus on "infinity". Even adjusting a telescope one needs to use an object that is 100 meters or closer. I have had camera lenses in the past where the manufacturer put an infinity symbol on the distance scale but that has gone out of fashion, in part because users expected it to be accurate which is not possible.

I experienced exactly the same dilemma as yourself with the Opticron Imagic BGA VHD, I believe some people are able to adjust, I couldn’t. I currently own 3 pairs of Opticron Verano BGA VHD, they all focus clockwise to infinity and are a dream to handle.
Thank you very much for this. I had assumed (wrongly) that the Verano focused anticlockwise to infinity, same as the Aurora.

Two to test, Traveller and Verano.

No optical device can focus on "infinity". Even adjusting a telescope one needs to use an object that is 100 meters or closer. I have had camera lenses in the past where the manufacturer put an infinity symbol on the distance scale but that has gone out of fashion, in part because users expected it to be accurate which is not possible.
Point taken, however, the discussion centres around the direction the focus wheel turns, i.e. clockwise or anticlockwise, not infinity.
Thank you very much for this. I had assumed (wrongly) that the Verano focused anticlockwise to infinity, same as the Aurora.

Two to test, Traveller and Verano.
You’re welcome, for what it’s worth, they’re both excellent. However, I sold my Travellers for the Veranos, it was the quality of the finish and view that swayed me.

You’re welcome, for what it’s worth, they’re both excellent. However, I sold my Travellers for the Veranos, it was the quality of the finish and view that swayed me.
So, this swayed me into a hasty decision...

Seeing an outstanding price for the 8x32 Verano being offered by a Welsh retailer (units appeared to be flying off the shelf and they've since raised the price), I decided to go ahead and make a purchase.

They arrived on Thursday afternoon and were unpacked yesterday morning.

I really liked the armour, the focus wheel had a nice feel and the movement (whilst not quite buttery smooth) was even across the full range with good tension. The overall impression was of a solid, high quality product, with nice sharp optics with decent contrast and resolution. Collimation appeared to be spot on too.

That said, I do own a 10x42 DBA VHD Plus monocular, and whilst it is an unfair comparison, it has to be said that the optics on the lower spec Verano were noticeably inferior (in terms of sharpness, contrast and resolution) to my eyes. My Verano may simply have been a bad copy, but I think the optics simply reflected the price point.

At this point, my initial testing came to an abrupt end. I tried to raise the eyecups for a non glasses wearer to try them, and the right eyecup was stuck. I tried tightening and unscrewing, but it wasn't going to move. I unscrewed it completely and discovered glue, lots and lots of glue. I tried to prise the rubber eyecup from the sleeve, but to no avail, I only succeeded in moving the sleeve slightly within the rubber eyecup which meant the ocular now sat proud of the rubber eyecup when I screwed it back on to the binocular. Oops!

I have returned the binoculars for refund rather than replacement, fearing an issue of some sort with a replacement copy, leading to a game of binocular ping-pong with the retailer, which neither of us would want.

I'm sure I was just unlucky with these binoculars. I liked the binoculars very much, there was nothing fundamentally wrong with them, just a seized/glued eyecup. I will consider repurchasing for sure, but only when I can get to a retailer to select a copy I'm happy with.

James

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back