• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DBA VHD+ 8x42 Monocular (1 Viewer)

Rufus1401

Wales
Well after spending some time deliberating on a birthday Leica Monovid or an Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42, I settled for the Opticron. Had my first chance to use it tonight when the cloud disappeared. All I can say is WOW !! The crescent moon was crisp and bright with zero colour fringing. The Pleiades were pinpoint sharp and bright. Jupiter showed a white disc with no colour fringing or flaring, with its moons. The most pleasant surprise was Orion and the nebula which was bright and displayed the most nebulosity I have ever seen. So pleased I bought it.
A quick shout out to Pete Gamby for answering my questions And another shout out to The Birders Store. Both store and monocular highly recommended.
I know this didn’t mention any birds, but I will rectify this in a week or so (weather and bird “bravery” dependant).

Last edited:
Well after spending some time deliberating on a birthday Leica Monovid or an Opticron DBA VHD+ 8x42, I settled for the Opticron. Had my first chance to use it tonight when the cloud disappeared. All I can say is WOW !! The crescent moon was crisp and bright with zero colour fringing. The Pleiades were pinpoint sharp and bright. Jupiter showed a white disc with no colour fringing or flaring, with its moons. The most pleasant surprise was Orion and the nebula which was bright and displayed the most nebulosity I have ever seen. So pleased I bought it.
A quick shout out to Pete Gamby for answering my questions And another shout out to The Birders Store. Both store and monocular highly recommended.
I know this didn’t mention any birds, but I will rectify this in a week or so (weather and bird “bravery” dependant).
From experience, they are the only/best Alpha 42mm Monocular one can buy.

From experience, they are the only/best Alpha 42mm Monocular one can buy.
Yep, only high quality >32mm monocular you can get from what I could find. Love mine, so compact compared to other 42mm monoculars, which all seem to use a spotting scope style focuser which juts out of the side. Love the helical focuser on the DBA VHD+ 42s, a little stiff, but eventually loosens up with use. Took me a while to learn how to best use and hold a monocular (both eyes open, one eye blocked by hand, hold two handed and at least one hand fully wrapped around the barrel), but I can now hold it steadier than my binoculars and with no eye fatigue. It works great in place of a small pair of binoculars, so easy to slip into a pocket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back