• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC proposals 2013 (1 Viewer)

This bit and the crack about "pelagic birders" in 2013-A shows a distance between birders reality and committee member's reality.

TiF Update:
September 1
The Bare-legged Screech-Owl has a new genus name, Margarobyas. This is because the old name Gymnoglaux is actually a junior synonym of Megascops (see Olson and Suárez, 2008; 54th AOU Supplement).
[Strigidae, Anomalogonates I, 2.74]

The original spelling Ptiliogonys has been restored for the Ptilogonys silky-flycatchers (see Gregory and Dickinson, 2012; 54th AOU Supplement). This changes the family name to Ptiliogonatidae.
[Ptiliogonatidae, Reguloidea and Bombycilloidea, 2.51]

Proposal 2013-A-3: Sandwich Tern

Richard Banks from the Cabot's Tern proposal:
"I am not certain whether there are valid reports of Old World birds in North America, but I am sure there soon will be."

There was a Sandwich Tern in Chicago a few years back, and I happened to notice the extra-long, "old world style" bill. Richard Klim sent me this: Garner et al (Identification of American Sandwich Tern, Dutch Birding Vol:29:5) which I then sent to Greg Neise who subsequently ran with it:
http://www.nabirding.com/2011/09/25/sandwich-or-cabots/

Bill shape/size, primary pattern, and molt details seem to point to an Old World Sandwich Tern.
eBird, News and Features, 2 Sep 2013: Eurasian Sandwich Tern in North America.

Eurasian Sandwich Tern in North America

Richard Banks from the Cabot's Tern proposal: "I am not certain whether there are valid reports of Old World birds in North America, but I am sure there soon will be."

There was a Sandwich Tern in Chicago a few years back, and I happened to notice the extra-long, "old world style" bill. Richard Klim sent me this: Garner et al (Identification of American Sandwich Tern, Dutch Birding Vol:29:5) which I then sent to Greg Neise who subsequently ran with it: http://www.nabirding.com/2011/09/25/sandwich-or-cabots/
Bill shape/size, primary pattern, and molt details seem to point to an Old World Sandwich Tern.
Marshall Iliff, Mark Grantham & Martin Garner, Birding Frontiers, 4 Nov 2013: Eurasian Sandwich Tern in North America.

I noticed that the ABA list has Nutmeg Mannikin included with the Passeridae instead of the Estrildidae. Why is that?

I noticed that the ABA list has Nutmeg Mannikin included with the Passeridae instead of the Estrildidae. Why is that?
Oops! v7.5.1...

[And maybe that common name should be reconsidered, given that it's not even a native American species. 'Nutmeg Mannikin' seems to be restricted to the pet trade (and AOU/ABA/Cornell) nowadays.]

Last edited:
The ABA does not create its own taxonomy. It automatically accepts any changes in the AOU NACC list. So any difference will certainly be a typo, and further speculation about a deeper meaning is unwarranted. Please let the ABA know about any you find, so that they may be quickly corrected.

Oops! v7.5.1...

[And maybe that common name should be reconsidered, given that it's not even a native American species. 'Nutmeg Mannikin' seems to be restricted to the pet trade (and AOU/ABA/Cornell) nowadays.]

Nutmeg mannikin is the commonly used name for them in Hawaii.

Nutmeg mannikin is the commonly used name for them in Hawaii.

I overlooked that: Nutmeg Mannikin I believe is the commonly used name in field guides for the entire AOU area (Canada to Chile and everything in between including the Caribbean).

On the other hand, I can live with the alternative: Scaly-breasted Munia. If anyone has strong feelings, send a proposal to one of the AOU committees ...

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back