• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC proposals 2014 (1 Viewer)

Carduelinae

Zuccon et al. 2012 contradicts directly the proposal 2014-A-2b. It is not in direct conflict with [2014-A-1 + 2014-A-2a], but makes this move unnecessary (three-way split of a group that is already monophyletic).
Cardueline cox1 tree attached for comparison (data from BOLD and GenBank; usually 1 seq/species retained, sometimes 2 when two genetic groups apparent; 694bp alignment by hand; max likelihood, model GTR + Γ, consensus over 200 replicates). Support admittedly not huge, but pinus and spinus form the sister group of the American siskins (BS 82.5%), and the American goldfinches are basal to them--ie., congruent with Zuccon et al 2012.

Attachments

• cox1-Carduelinae-consensus.pdf
    6.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Zuccon et al 2012 does say "it seems likely that Nguembock et al.’s result
is due to their use for Carduelis spinus of sequences that in part
do not belong to this species."

Zuccon et al 2012 does say "it seems likely that Nguembock et al.’s result is due to their use for Carduelis spinus of sequences that in part do not belong to this species."
Yes indeed, I saw it afterwards. It was already >1 year since I had read the paper and I didn't remember this. (And I always tend to go to the data first, in part because this is where problems are most frequent. Data are typically never checked by peer-reviewers.) But this and "a contamination" in the broad sense are equivalent--ie, their spinus sequences seem contaminated with non-spinus (probably Loxia) material. This doesn't necessarily imply a real, physical, contamination of a sample with the DNA of another one, though (eg., the name of one or more sequence(s) could also have been changed accidentally in a file, outside the lab, the end result would be the same).

Last edited:
Laurent: Please keep focusing on the data and not looking at the politics, horse shit etc.
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I love looking at your DNA analyses, trees etc.

Proposals 2014-B

www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/pending.php
Proposals 2014-B (PDF)
  • 2014-B-1: Split the Cuban Parrot (Amazona leucocephala) complex into multiple species
  • 2014-B-2: Add Maguari Stork Ciconia maguari to the main list
  • 2014-B-3: Add Lined Seedeater Sporophila lineola to the main list
  • 2014-B-4: Transfer Azure Gallinule (Porphyrio flavirostris) from the main list to the Appendix
  • 2014-B-5: Transfer Yellow-winged Cacique (Cacicus melanicterus) to Cassiculus
  • 2014-B-6: Split Gymnopithys leucaspis into two species (SACC # 587)
  • 2014-B-7: Split Pyrrhura roseifrons, lucianii, and amazonum from P. picta (SACC # 306, SACC # 403)
  • 2014-B-8: Revise the linear sequence of species in the genus Saltator (SACC # 593)
  • 2014-B-9: Revise the linear sequence of species in the genus Dendrocincla (SACC # 597)
  • 2014-B-10: Revise the classification of Automolus and relatives (SACC # 601)
  • 2014-B-11: Split Siberian Stonechat (Saxicola maurus) from Common Stonechat (S. torquatus)
  • 2014-B-12: Revise the generic assignments of several introduced estrildids
  • 2014-B-13: Eliminate Trogoninae (New World Trogons) as a subfamily of the Trogonidae
  • 2014-B-14: Remove hyphens from English names of the "Black-Hawks" (SACC # 515)

Last edited:
I am curious to see if the first one will get a more favorable treatment this time around.

Niels

Proposals 2014-C

www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/pending.php
Proposals 2014-C (PDF)
  • 2014-C-1: Add Waved Albatross Phoebastria irrorata to the main list
  • 2014-C-2: Change the type locality of Craveri's Murrelet
  • 2014-C-3: Adopt a new classification for the Quail-Doves (Columbidae)
  • 2014-C-4: Revise the taxonomy and linear sequence for species of Sporophila and Oryzoborus (SACC # 604, SACC # 605)
  • 2014-C-5: Split Ninox japonica from Brown Hawk-Owl Ninox scutulata and adopt the English name Northern Boobook
  • 2014-C-6: Add Common Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita to the main list
  • 2014-C-7: Change the English name of Lonchura punctulata from Nutmeg Mannikin [;)] to Scaly-breasted Munia
  • 2014-C-8: Split the Shy Albatross Thalassarche cauta into two or three species: (a) split cauta/steadi from salvini/eremita (SACC # 155); (b) split salvini from eremita (SACC # 255)
  • 2014-C-9: Split Toxostoma palmeri from Curve-billed Thrasher T. curvirostre

Last edited:
Proposal 2014-C-9

2014-C-9: Split Toxostoma palmeri from Curve-billed Thrasher T. curvirostre
  • Toxostoma (curvirostre) curvirostre - 'Plateau Thrasher'
  • Toxostoma (curvirostre) palmeri - 'Palmer's Thrasher'
I also propose synonymizing subspecies oberholseri and celsum with curvirostre, and synonymizing maculatum, insularum and occidentale with palmeri (Rojas-Soto 2003, Rojas-Soto et al. 2007).
If the split is adopted this time, is NACC likely to also formally endorse Robert Tweit's proposed synonymisations (given that AOU doesn't currently 'do' subspecies)...?

Last edited:
2014-C-7: Change the English name of Lonchura punctulata from Nutmeg Mannikin [] to Scaly-breasted Munia

If this happens I forsee many years of people entering nutmeg mannikins as "chestnut munias" if the familiar name "nutmeg mannikin" disappears from checklists. :(

55th supplement?

Auk 131(3) (Jul 2014) has now been completed/published, but doesn't include the expected annual check-list supplement. Presumably publication of the 55th supplement has been deferred to the Oct 2014 issue...

[Or perhaps all 33 proposals for 2014 failed. ;)]

Last edited:
Auk 131(3) (Jul 2014) has now been completed/published, but doesn't include the expected annual check-list supplement. Presumably publication of the 55th supplement has been deferred to the Oct 2014 issue...

[Or perhaps all 33 proposals for 2014 failed. ;)]

Richard et al.
With the new Auk format, deadlines were changed for submission, so our schedule was thrown of. Look for the supplement in the October issue of Auk.

Andy Kratter

Will this impact the Clements Checklist updates? IIRC, those are usually the end of summer, and incorporate the NACC/SACC decisions for the year.

I believe the ebird updates will be there within a month, with the official Clements spreadsheet to follow later.

Niels

So will the ebird updates be based on insider knowledge and contain the yet-unpublished changes from this year's AOU proposals, or will it be a round of updating the rest of the world but not the AOU area (pending the October Auk issue)?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back