• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arborophila partridge Q (2 Viewers)

De Chen, Yang Liu, Geoffrey Davison, Ding Li Yong, Shenghan Gao, Junhua Hu, Shou-Hsien Li, Zhengwang Zhang. Disentangling the evolutionary history and biogeography of hill partridges (Phasianidae, Arborophila) from low coverage shotgun sequences

Good stuff. So, Oreoperdix for their southeastern clade...

From Swinhoe in 1866 Ibis:
I am told that some consider my Oreoperdix crudigularis (Ibis, 1864, p. 426) an Arboricola. That this Formosan bird is allied to Arboricola I am prepared to allow, but I cannot admit it into that genus, at least not into the genus which includes A. torqueola of India, the only species of the that group I have by me. The specimen of A. torqueola that I have here was kindly sent to me by Dr. Squire (of Pheasant fame); and O. crudigularis certainly differs from that a good deal in the form of the head and the bill. Ours has a much more rounded or concave wing, with the quills obtusely ended instead of pointed, and its tail is shorter, not surpassing the wings. The legs of the two species are somewhat similarly formed, but those of ours are red. I am sending home skeletons of this bird, and I think there will be found a good deal of difference between the osteology of the two. The two species differ from each other far more than many other types of distinct genera. I hate the “furor genericus” so called, but still my conscience at present tells me that I am right in separating these two birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back