• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arctic redpoll male?, Eastern Finland, 28.02.20 (1 Viewer)

Voitto

Hello everyone!
I am trying to learn as much as possible about the birds of the area where I live in Eastern Finland, and I hope someone would help me identifying some of the species I see, as I am a newbie here...
Today walking in the forest I met a flock of redpolls. At first I thought they were common redpolls (Carduelis flammea), but quickly I noticed that the males where different, some of them having bigger and brighter red color on the breast. I would like to ask help to clarify: is it two different species together, common redpoll and arctic redpoll (Carduelis hornemanni)? Or what is the explanation? I attach three pictures (the bird on the branch is the "pale" one, two pictures attached) and the bird on the ground is generally darker and has brighter red breast (and bigger red area on breast), one picture attached.
It is not easy to see arctic redpolls so I am excited to get some information.
Thanks a lot in advance for any information you can provide. Best regards from North Karelia, Finland, Victoria.

Attachments

• IMG_0166-2.jpg
    IMG_0166-2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0211-4.jpg
    IMG_0211-4.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0212-4.jpg
    IMG_0212-4.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 32
Carduelis flammea all three for me - the flanks are too heavily streaked; also even male C. h. exilipes has at most only a pale pink blush on the chest, not strongly red.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Hello Nutcracker and thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply my thread.
I did not expect so quick reply, I really appreciate it! Great that I have found this forum. Best regards from Finland!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back