• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are frozen marshes still good birding? (1 Viewer)

The Lion Cub

We have a marsh in our area, across the road from a bay 9 miles wide. The marsh is 2 and a half square miles and its water channels are 1 to 2 and half feet deep in the summer. In the summer we get warblers and herons and sandhill cranes and swallows and Common Snipes, it's really great.

I was wondering if it is still good birding in the winter. The temp is about
25 F, about -4 C. Are there any winter birds that like marshes?

Thanks!

Sparrows will sometimes hang winter in similar environments. And you can always hope for overwintering snipe or rails, although usually you need at least a little bit of open water or mud for those. I'd check it out, but don't get your hopes up :p

Thank you all for the replies! I spoke to another birdwatcher who went there, and he said it was a good time of year for ducks, if there is open water, which I think there is.

I'd say that this bay is a lot more likely to be good for birds than a frozen marsh! Personally I've never seen anything in marshes in winter, but then again, I've never looked hard for anything.

You are so right! We were driving by and saw hundreds of tiny ducks there sitting on the ice, bu they were too far out and we didn't have a camera, so alas we must try again.

I assume, as usual for birding, that morning is the best time to go?

Actually, for winter I find it doesn't matter much what time of day it is.

Indeed! One of the reasons I like birding in winter... I don't have to get up early! ;) (And there would be no point since the sun doesn't come up until after 8-9am anyway...)

as for time of day...depends on how much human disturbance and open water is available. When I would look for waterfowl in Traverse City MI in winter, I found that the earlier I showed up the closer to shore ducks would be, plus I think during the day, if open water is available elsewhere, they may disperse from certain points.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back