• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad weather brings good birds, but you can't bird in bad weather! (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Do you agree with the title?

On the first part, not just any bad weather, of course - but rain that compels a migrant to land, or else strong winds blowing in migrants that might otherwise miss your place.

On the second part, it's not just unpleasant - I don't remember a day when landbird migrants were showing actively in good numbers in terrible weather.

If you remember a day with terrible weather but with a successful twitch or better yet a great find, I'd love to hear about it.

Probably my most unpleasant serious birding experience, weather-wise, is that time a couple of acquaintances and I marched down towards Spurn Point to look at some Snow Buntings, only to be told when we were halfway towards the point that the Snow Buntings were back on the beach. It was so cold, and windy, and the rain was icy!

In Hong Kong where I currently live, the weather is much milder except in the summer. You might get good waders out on the Mai Po mudflats during a spring rainstorm, in the middle of which I don't think I would try any other form of birding.

I remember waiting in torrential rain on Tresco for a Hermit Thrush to show, I was wet through my (fake Barbour) wax jacket and my shoes squelched for a few days and the dye came out of my new hat and turned my head blue. And the bird didn’t reappear.
However, as the rain eased to stair rods there was a call for a Rose-breasted Grosbeak about a 100 metres away.
The sun came out as did the bird where it was able to observed about 80 gently steaming birders.

As Alfred Wainwright said

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”​

Birding in the Chocó in Colombia was reasonably horrible, as the driving rain meant I could not see anything through my glasses and binoculars, even if my clothes stayed dry.

The death march to Blakeney Point to see Alder Flycatcher in atrocious conditions (storm and rain) will remain a highlight of my birding life.

But also at my current inland location, torrential showers tend to bring interesting birds. It just does not match with my preferred mode of transport (the bicycle).

I use a windproof golf type umbrella which helps a lot when it is lashing down. A good trick if it isnt windy as well is to zip your coat up nearly to the top and slip your umbrella handle in enabling you to still use your bins,/ scope effectively.

I find that bright spells immediately after bad weather often produce the most activity.
This has been my experience. It also depends on habitat you are birding in. sometimes if you are under tree cover than a downpour isn't so bad. I've also found that most water birds (understandably) are not too concerned about rain, and presuming there is no risk of flooding or something, these habitats can be good to bird in less than great weather.

"As Alfred Wainwright said "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”"
Untrue. I have lived through three major hurricanes. No clothing can prepare you for that. The only bird seen was during Hurricane Ian was an osprey sheltering on a porch. The bird would have come inside, if we had been allowed to open the door.

Never, in the middle of winter, or during seawatching was I as cold as canoeing in strong wind on flooded marshes in Poland. Wind pushed water from the oars on us. Flocks of breeding plumage Ruffs and White-winged Terns flying over us. Afterwards, I was not only clattering teeth, but shaking whole, arms and legs, like epileptics.

We set out the other day following a forecast of rain 'clearing' from the west so that by the time we got to the River Otter, it should have been fine. We went through a brief clear spell, but when we arrived it was till tipping down. Took a while (and a walk) but eventually we saw the Lesser Yellowlegs back where we started from near the car park. A damp drive to Newton Abbott followed and it was still precipitating as we walked into Jetty Marsh NR. Took a wettish while but eventually found the Night Heron, and troops started to arrive soon after. So both the 'good' birds were seen in poor weather. Generally speaking though, I don't bother. Oh and my jacket was worse than useless!

How do hailstones affect birds? I would imagine it may actually badly injure kill the odd bird when you get one of those are events where the hailstones are a decent size. I was out the other day when I got stuck in a heavy hailstorm, but was mightily relieved to have taken my golf brolly out. I think the main thing is when the weather gets really bad it has to actually coincide with birds going over. My local patch is a decent sized mound/ hill that stands out like a sore thumb from the neighbouring habitat with a small wet area which you would think would draw birds in during rough weather, but it very rarely does.

I have trouble taking my expensive binos out in the rain - I know they're designed for it, but still - my babies!! :)

naked-eye birding is fun too btw

On an April day many years ago I was birding at College Lake, Bucks when a hailstorm came out of nowhere. I dived into the nearest hide where I watched in amazement as it began raining wheatears. The number on the ground went from zero to a couple of dozen in just a few minutes. The storm stopped as quickly as it began and the wheatears went on their way.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back