• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed Hawk or hybrid, Flamborough, England (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
This looked OK for an adult Red-tailed Hawk from the rear, although at times the cere appeared (pale) yellow. As far as I can gather, only juveniles have yellow ceres. From the front though, as well as the broad dark bar across the belly, this bird also has a broad dark bar across the breast. I can't find a bird like this in an internet search.

Please excuse the quality of the photos.

Hybrid with Buzzard?

BrettRed-tailed Hawk or hybrid, Flamborough, 17 Oct 23.jpgRed-tailed Hawk or hybrid, Flamborough, 18 Oct 23.jpg

Difficult to judge with these photos,

BUT Reminds me of a bird I saw some years ago in Northern Germany near Braunschweig...
we had also birds with somewhat less reddish tails, but still conspicuous, in the area of Bonn
And there are also birds with reddish tail in other parts of western Europe
However these seem all to be common bussards, so reddish in tail seems to be possible in some common bussards from western and middle Europe

That said there are more odd birds , in cluding falconers hybrids like this Buteo jamaicensis x hemilasius
(but as yet no photo documentation of Buteo jamaicensis x buteo, asfar as I am aware )

And I never found out what this one was , though it may have been a simiar cross as the previous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back