• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PLEASE HELP DISTINGUISH THIS EAGLE OR HAWK (1 Viewer)

in a bit of a debate with a coworker of mine he had sent me a picture of this bird and is trying to convince me it is a bald eagle. Although I am familiar with the age progression of a bald eagle and know that they can have darker feathers and a darker beak I have noticed that this bird has a short week and the percentage of white that is in his feathers does not match the percentage of gold that would be in an adolescent or young adult bald eagle. My better guess was a red tail hawk based on the color patterns and the familiar white stipe above eye area will include two photos they’re not the best but pretty sure someone can give a better answer

6170C656-1384-443B-8C98-8276B25FF0AF.png

Welcome to BF.
Could you give the location and date, please? This should always be given as it very often helps, or may be essential for, an ID. Thanks.
Assuming it's somewhere in N America, probably red-tailed hawk, as you suggest; immature. It's not a bald eagle, eg bill is much too small.

Well I don't believe it's an Eagle or a Red-tailed Hawk. Not with all the frontal marks. I'm gonna go with Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Welcome, Amalachi! Your bird is neither Bald Eagle nor Sharp-shinned Hawk. It is probably an immature Red-tailed Hawk as Butty said.

Welcome to BF.
Could you give the location and date, please? This should always be given as it very often helps, or may be essential for, an ID. Thanks.
Assuming it's somewhere in N America, probably red-tailed hawk, as you suggest; immature. It's not a bald eagle, eg bill is much too small.

The date was December 6th in Gardiner New York

Most definitely not a bald eagle. It's a buteo hawk, and as others have said it seems to be an immature red-tail. The photo doesn't permit me to be fully confident that it's not, say, an immature red-shouldered hawk, but based on that single photo as evidence, red-tail is a better fit. (The upper breast seems to be un-spotted, which would be unusual for red-shouldered.) Plus, red-tailed is by far the most common hawk in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back