• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Around Amsterdam in April/ Oostvaardersplassen? (1 Viewer)

ERbirds

United States
Has anyone been visiting Oostvaardersplassen recently? I'd read about the bad conditions there and birds declining, and wonder if it's currently considered a good birding place. Are there other sites that would be better to visit on a day of birding from Amsterdam? Texel is an alternative but would be more time-consuming in terms of transit...would appreciate any other recommendations!

I have been there now in the winter and was a bit disappointed of the Oostvaardersplassen. That of course can change in spring, also depending on what kind of birds you are especially looking for.
Texel is always birdy and you have a variety of spiecies and habitats to look for. Even when it takes some more time and you have to take the ferry, if I had to choose, I would always take Texel. April on Texel is great. You get migrants, some of the last winteres and arriving breeding birds all at the same time.

Other options close to Amsterdam are for example the Groene Jonker near Zevenhoven which could also be combined with the Ijsselmeer areas.

Texel is readily reachable from Amsterdam and a much better experience overall.
This is where to start: Texel | Waarneming.nl

I guess the only bird the Oostvaardersplassen would definitely get you which won't be on Texel is White-tailed Eagle.
For Flevoland (the province), check: Biodiversiteit in Flevoland

There are areas closer to Amsterdam which will have interesting species as well – e.g. Purple Heron or Savi's Warbler. If there are birds you definitely want to see, try searching Waarneming.nl (or the subsites Biodiversiteit in Noord-Holland, Utrecht, Biodiversiteit in Zuid-Holland if you want to limit yourself to the surrounding provinces).

Thank you both for these replies and links! Very helpful. I'm thinking of taking a night or two on Texel now to get the birding time there. Is it possible to get around the island and to different habitats with just a bike rental, rather than having a car?

Definitely check the waarneming.nl website before going out, because likely there will be some rarities and temporary concentrations of birds during your visit. This part of the Netherlands is very birded, and you will have up to date information. See on waarnemingen that only some spots and ponds among many are good for birds, and these are invariably well known. When in the field, look for groups of excited birders as much as for the birds.

I think the best day car trip from Amsterdam is actually the peninsula before Texel: Campenduin, Balgzandpolder, Balgzand, Den Oever, Wieringenwerf and if time allows, some coast spots around Hyppolytushoef. The habitats and concentrations of birds are the same as Texel, but you don't waste time on the ferry. Texel is a bit awkward because it is slightly too big for a bicycle (25km) but costly to take a car. This may, of course, change if there is a major rarity elsewhere.

That route will probably get you the biggest diversity of species, but some individual ones will not be there: Purple Heron is mostly S of Amsterdam etc. Definitely check also the tide chart, because there will be good concentrations of birds at the high tide, even if April is not the peak shorebird migration. Take care of traffic jams in peak times.

Thank you both for these replies and links! Very helpful. I'm thinking of taking a night or two on Texel now to get the birding time there. Is it possible to get around the island and to different habitats with just a bike rental, rather than having a car?
If you stay on the Island e.g. around De Koog which is rather central. A bike is more than enough. If you come for a single day with the ferry, the trip around the island is certainly doable but it takes some time, so maybe you would want to skip some of the Northern parts around De cocksdorp and the Slufter then.
Bluethroat and Bearded reedling are not the 2 species I would directly associate with Texel, but both should be gettable around the Mookbai and Horsmeertjes in the South of the Island.
Bluethroat is very easy at the Oostvaadersplaasen as well as at Groene Jonker (Purple Heron).
Bearded Reedling is always a bit tricky as a breeding bird in my experience. Not sure if there is a large enough population to make it easy around Amsterdam.

Bluethroat is very easy near the Horsmeerjes on Texel. I would claim that you cannot miss... but it should be easy at many mainland locations too.
Bearded Tit is currently along the Mokbaai as well. It is also surprisingly common at the Volgermeerpolder just north of Amsterdam.
It is widespread but not necessarily easy!

One of my favourite sites around Amsterdam when I was living there was just NE of the city near Durgerdam. There are Bearded Reedlings here and with patience you should spot them, though not necessarily well as they are shy. Bluethroat and Savi's Warbler (if they are back) breed there and Purple Heron is sometimes seen there as well. The area is good for migrant shorebirds and goose flocks in the surrounding fields. https://ebird.org/hotspot/L11437410

Texel is, as others have said, great.

Thanks everyone -- so much great information! Much appreciated. Glad to have a few places in mind. I'll have to learn my way around the waarneming interface before I'm there.

Looking forward to April birding!

If it's not too late, I'd like to add the Zwanenwater, which is situated near the coast roughly halfway between Alkmaar and Den Helder just south of Callantsoog. Pretty great for Bluethroats and still the only place I've ever actually seen and not only heard a Great Bittern.
On the way up there from Amsterdam is also De Putten, just outside the village of Petten. Small area with lots of waders and gulls where you can park right next to the observation hut. Nice little place to warm up for a day of birding.

I'll be hitting the area this April too, by the way. Two weeks of family vacation, but I hope I can squeeze in at least a few days of birding. ;)

After recently come back from Amsterdam which I did on the tram mainly top areas I found where Dimmer Park with plenty of Bluethroats and other decent birds though I think nearby Diemervijfhoek would be even better. Strand Blijburg area was good when I was there BN Grebes, RB Merganser Spoonbills and Yellow Wagtails some of the birds present .Also the Black-necked Heron was very easy in Ooosterpark if that takes your fancy.

Thanks everyone! Reporting back to say that the birding in Texel was very enjoyable! It was extremely windy while I was there, which made things a bit difficult, but still a great experience. My best birds were some unexpected ones for me, a Ring Ouzel and a pair of Common Cranes circling right overhead. I did see the Bluethroats well around the Horsmeertjes, along with Cetti’s Warblers. Heard and poorly glimpsed Bearded Reedlings, as people predicted. Some impressive large flocks of geese and European Golden-Plovers.

Stopped at De Putten and the Zwanenwater on my way up to Texel— wished I had more time at Zwanenwater; nice spot.

Even Vondelpark in the city was fun for birding, and European Pied Flycatcher was a nice surprise there! Thanks again for all the tips. Hope to bird in this area again sometime!

049A3476.JPG049A2985.JPG049A2653.JPG049A1262.JPG049A0767.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back