• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (1 Viewer)

Suppose they have been reported long time ago but I don't get here that often.....2 Oystercatchers resting in the middle of lake alongside the gulls.
Quite a few GCGrebes about with a few pairing up.
As I was almost in the car park home a pair of Buzzard did a quick circle overhead.

Two Oyks briefly at Lower Park early afternoon today.

At last a good week at Arrow Valley Lake. 3 Mandarin (2 male, 1 Female) last Sunday. Also on Sunday, 2 Teal and 4 Widgeon. In the week were a Gadwall and a Goldeneye.

Decent finds ths morning

Parked at Ipsley Pool early this morning & walked up, round Arrow Valley Lake & back. Some good spots: caught my first Kingfisher on camera near Ipsley Pool & saw it twice more as I made my way back passed the car park. Been looking along here for a while now without success but today proved very fruitful indeed. No more Kingfishers on the run up to the Lake. Will check again tomorrow or Sunday to see if the Kingy was a fluke. 5 Cormorants in the tree by the sailing club & a pair of GCG also. Just passed the duck feeding station & over the brook I found a Treecreeper (I have never seen one in the wild before) & a Nuthatch. Managed to catch both on camera. Plenty of Long Tailed Tits & Coal Tits about. Charm of Goldfinches down back towards the River Arrow squabbling in the trees & two Heron's flew overhead. Walking back up the River saw two Grey Wagtails but was too slow to catch either on camera. Saw an unfamilar bird that most resembles a Pied Flycatcher out of my book (probably not) but again missed the opportunity to catch it on camera as it would not sit still for long enough & darted off just as I got it into focus. Decent few hours well spent on a crisp morning!

Attachments

• Kingfisher River Arrow (2).jpg
    Kingfisher River Arrow (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Treecreeper AVL.jpg
    Treecreeper AVL.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 99
  • Nuthatch AVL.jpg
    Nuthatch AVL.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 106
Early morning on the Arrow Valley

Started at Ipsley Pool, walked back towards Studley along the Arrow - no sign of the Kingfisher, saw a pair of Bullfinch on my way up the other side of the River. Heading towards the Lake there were a pair of Grey Wagtail near the river at Pykes Pool, lots of Great Tits & a Jay. Plenty of Great Crested Grebe on the Lake & saw a Grey Heron fly overhead towards the large island. Goldfinch up by the duck feeding station. Headed into Bluebell Woods. Goldcrest bobbing about in trees, too slow to catch on camera. Did manage to photograph a Siskin feeding on rotting fruit & a Treecreeper working the tree trunks on my trip through though. Back towards Ipsley Pool there were a group of Long Tail Tits & another Treecreeper. Decided to have one more look for the Kingfisher & there she was! Far too slow to get a front on shot, she called as she flew away from me. Hung about in the same place for a while & got a great view as the Kingy flew back up the river & round the bend with her metallic blue plumage glinting in the sunlight as she disappeared from view.

Attachments

• Siskin Bluebell Wood.jpg
    Siskin Bluebell Wood.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Treecreeper Bluebell Woods.jpg
    Treecreeper Bluebell Woods.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 92
Decided to have one more look for the Kingfisher & there she was! Far too slow to get a front on shot, she called as she flew away from me. Hung about in the same place for a while & got a great view as the Kingy flew back up the river & round the bend with her metallic blue plumage glinting in the sunlight as she disappeared from view.

Nice one Boggers, I enjoy reading the local KF reports.

Nice one Boggers, I enjoy reading the local KF reports.

Thanks Zomerset. I have never heard the Kingy call before, today was the first time. If I had a better camera I could have got some cracking air shots as when she flew back towards me. I could see her coming from about 50m away on the straight, then she zipped round the bend. I must have walked passed her at one point. They are so much harder to spot in this area when they are perched. I think the orange breast blends in with the clay banks that we have in Redditch!

Yeah nice one boggers! I too have seen them down in the same area quite often but never had my camera on me. Maybe its time to start taking it down and having a good look around ;)

Thanks for your updates Boggers. Good to see some 'new blood' on here. Will no doubt bump into you at some time whilst looking for Kingy.

More Kingfishers than you could shake a stick at!

Cheers Dave, hopefully our paths will cross one morning! Today I decided to try & add the Green Woodpecker to my growing photo collection. I started at my now usual spot & where I saw the Great Spotted Woodpecker last Sunday. He was present again, on the same tree. I could hear the Green Woodpecker calling but could not find it. I walked down to the lower part of my circuit to see if I could get a glimpse of the Kingy & there she was, sat right where I expected her! Too slow to get a picture so I tracked back up the river & found her again in one of the other usual spots. I often disturb her at her spot close to the man-made & did so again today although I did get to see where she actually sits: it is far higher in the tree than I imagined. Trecking up toward the lake I saw a Goldfinch, plenty of Long Tailed Tits & a pair of Grey Wagtails. Rather than walk round the Lake & then through Bluebell Wood today I followed the river by the sailing club. Managed to spot another Kingy & had the perfect shot prepped... only to be spoiled by a dog & it's owner jumping into the river. Stopped on the bridge to work out how far apart the two Kingfisher territories were whilst cursing the dog walker under my breath when I was greeted by not one, but two Kingfishers coming back towards me calling to one another! One showed off by doing a barrel roll & flying back the way it came. The other perched on the bridge right next to me, less than 2 metres away. The sparkling blue & burnt orange colours were only made more majestic by the dilapidated bridge & its chipped green paint work. Doubt I will ever get that close to a Kingy in my life again. I remembered my camera as the second one flew off & managed to get a couple of terrible shots. See that speck of blue on the picture? Yeah, I am claiming that one! Reed Bunting, Tufted Ducks, Goldcrest, Wren & Bullfinch on the way back towards the man-made & a cheeky Nuthatch by Pikes Pool, sat on the sign. One more look for my normal Kingy, found her again! Green Woodpecker put in an appearance flying overhead as I made my way back to the car. No picture sadly but at least I know whereabouts I can find it!

Attachments

• Kingfisher Glimpse.jpg
    Kingfisher Glimpse.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Kingfisher Glimpse (3).jpg
    Kingfisher Glimpse (3).jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 103
Popped down to my old patch today following your post. Great to see Kingfisher on River Arrow easily. Let's hope the local chavs keep their distance, as normally the first bit of good weather they are creating havoc in these areas. Nice posts.

Kingfishers & Woodpeckers

Hi Neil, local idiots have already started their run of destruction. On Friday there were several dead fire sites near Ipsley Pool. Very sad, if they stopped to look around they might find something interesting rather than just ruining everything they see. Had a bit of time off work so have hit Ipsley Pool, up to the Lake & on to Bordesley then back again three times in the last week. Today has been the best day, I caught my regular Kingy near Ipsely Pool, she now has a gentlemen suitor! Got her on camera which is a rarity, good start. Saw the second pair that I spoke of on an earlier post, have seen them five visits in a row now, they are the easiet spot & seem a bit more confident of people than the Ipsley Pool Kingy. Managed to get the male on camera as well today. Have also found a third Kingy up near the five tunnels at Bordesley. It is about 4 miles from the bottom of the run up to the top at Bordesley. Also saw the Bordesley Kingy catch a fish last Friday, yet to see it pair up like the others though. On the Woodpecker front I have seen only the Great variety. There is one near five tunnels & one at Ipsley that I see regular. No Lesser, heard the Green but still not caught it on camera. On the run back to the Lake & opposite the Sailing Club, a pair of Heron have three chicks(maybe more but that is as many as I have counted). They are viewed much better from the opposite side though.

Attachments

• Kingfisher(M) Sailing Club.jpg
    Kingfisher(M) Sailing Club.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Kingfisher(F) Ipsley Pool.jpg
    Kingfisher(F) Ipsley Pool.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 77
Boggers.......thanks for all the brilliant reports from here....I staked out the Arrow for a while a few years ago but drew a blank....glad you are having better luck.
In case I manage to get a train/bus to have a look can you enlarge on what the tunnels are you mentioned....I only ever looked around the Arrow valley Lake and presume the Ipsley is the small one alongside Old Forge Drive.

Cheers. :t:

More Kingys but no LSWP

Spent ages looking for the LSWP round Pikes Pool twice today with no reward. That one is on my bird bucket-list! Took the old man out to show him some Kingys & fortunately they were not shy. Managed to catch the male on camera near Howards Road, south of Ipsley Pool. Saw the Ipsley pair much further north today than I have before, their territory is bigger than I first thought. Also managed to catch a rough shot of the Sailing Club Kingfishers as a pair. Two more firsts for me today: a Fieldfare up by Bluebell Woods & a Mistlethrush. How agressive is a Mistlethrush! It was holding its own with a pair of Magpies!!! Also managed to catch a glimpse of one of the Heron chicks, could not see the other two, hope they are still around. There is a second heron's nest on the opposite side of the same island although I cannot see if there is anything in it. If the weather holds tomorrow morning I am going to have another look for Dave's LSWP.

Attachments

• Kingfisher Pair.jpg
    Kingfisher Pair.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Heron Chick.jpg
    Heron Chick.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Kingfisher Male.jpg
    Kingfisher Male.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Mistle Thrush.jpg
    Mistle Thrush.jpg