• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asia - Plovers (1 Viewer)

Kongi

Hi,
Could you, please, help me and check these plovers?

Thank you
Petr

my best guess:

1 Little Ringed Plover: Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP
2a,2b Long-billed Plover: Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP
3 ?with recent splits, I am not sure?: Borneo, Pulau Tiga NP

Attachments

• 1 Little Ringed Plover Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP.JPG
    1 Little Ringed Plover Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 2a Long-billed Plover Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP.JPG
    2a Long-billed Plover Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 2b Long-billed Plover Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP.JPG
    2b Long-billed Plover Vietnam, Phan Rang, Nui Chua NP.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 3 Borneo, Pulau Tiga NP.JPG
    3 Borneo, Pulau Tiga NP.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 137
The first one looks good to me for 'White-faced' Plover (dealbatus), the possible split from Kentish.

I have to agree with John, the bird in image 1 must surely be a transient male 'White-faced' Plover. In Kentish the black eyestripe is much more obvious, running from the bill to well beyond the eye. In this bird there is only a feint black comma in front of the eye, possibly a weak extension to the rear.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=7&Bird_ID=2840&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

I did consider White-faced, a species I'm familiar with from Thailand, especially as the bird shows an obvious pale base to the lower mandible, something I've noted. However the bird looked rather too scaly and the bill structure, a little short of what I'm used too, Swinhoe's can be rather sandplover-like. You could be right, it would be a good find in Borneo.

I did consider White-faced, a species I'm familiar with from Thailand, especially as the bird shows an obvious pale base to the lower mandible, something I've noted. However the bird looked rather too scaly and the bill structure, a little short of what I'm used too, Swinhoe's can be rather sandplover-like. You could be right, it would be a good find in Borneo.

Seems to be some confusion here Mark. John was referring to the bird in the first image, taken in Viet Nam. The bird you seem to be referring to, with an obvious pale bill base and taken in Borneo, is the one in last image?

Happy to go along with White-faced for 1st bird, if that's what John and Grahame think it is. I didn't realise that they can show any dark between eye and bill. Great bird, hope I get to see (and recognise) one one day!

Seems to be some confusion here Mark. John was referring to the bird in the first image, taken in Viet Nam. The bird you seem to be referring to, with an obvious pale bill base and taken in Borneo, is the one in last image?

Your right, its me that's confused :smoke: Didn't really look at the first image properly, looks good for Swinhoe's/White-faced. Got locked into why the last wasn't so strikingly marked as Malaysian usually are and didn't read the responses properly. Blame it on a fried brain from being out early..

Happy to go along with White-faced for 1st bird, if that's what John and Grahame think it is. I didn't realise that they can show any dark between eye and bill. Great bird, hope I get to see (and recognise) one one day!

I have just contacted Phil Round who has confirmed the first bird is a male 'White-faced' and the last bird is indeed a Malaysian Plover.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back