• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATS/STS videohead - direct mounting? (1 Viewer)

The scope can be mounted to any fluid head via the standard screw fitting, do you mean without a quick release plate?

I'm aware of the Manfrotto 128rc and the Swaro specific heads for the older generation of ATS/M STS/STM series, but had wondered whether any of the Gitzo fluid heads would support the mounting foot without the QRP. The newer generation of A/STS scopes are apparently Arca-swiss compatible, so should work without QRP for any set up which uses that system.

I've used a RRS BH-55 for photography, with RRS QR plates. works good to keep camera 'motionless'.
For movements of ATX, the Sirui VA-5, with Sirui QR plates, is functional for all the motion I want in the scope, and it can 'lock' down enough.

According to Swarovski it fits directly into their own pth and cth heads.

It will also fit directly into Berlebach heads.

HOWEVER this is only useful if the scope is well balanced in itself. If the scope's centre of gravity is not located over the foot then you are better off using a plate to balance it.
The ATS 65 is reportedly tail-heavy. Don't know about the ATS 80 or the STSes.
If you are planning to phone-scope, or digiscope, you will also need to consider balance.

It will also fit directly into Berlebach heads.
But without any safety retention. AFAIK the only heads which will provide safety retention for the Swarovski scope foot are their own heads and the Gitzo GHF2W.
Agree though with the above that a QR plate is preferable, and strongly recommended for the ATS/STS 65s, which are tail-heavy.

John

If the ATS/STS is equipped with the same AS foot as the ATX then the safety retention will work, with caveats described here:

That thread also contains an account of swaro head user birdcat, beginning at post #31

It is starting to look like I might go the route of

15x56 SLC
and
25-50x65 STS

The 15x56 will use the TAs-SLC tripod adapter.
And I belive just the foot on the STS..

Both of these I belive have the AS ‘’logo’’ underneath foot, which should indicate direct mounting is possible?

But as Tringa45 said, STS is maybe tail heavy, so a arca rail might be preferable anyways…?

John has the angled eyepiece version. I'm not sure whether any of the regulars here has an STS 65 and would be able to comment on its balance.

Does your ballhead have an option to lock the lateral tilt, so that it will behave like a two-way head with just tilting forward and back plus panning left and right?

My ATS 65 HD is only slightly tail heavy. With my Gitzo GH2720QR set without any tension at all, the scope only tilts backwards from the horizontal if nudged... and with only slight head tension (enabling the scope to be moved) it will stay put at any angle. I don't think a long base plate is necessarily required.

As for the plate. The ATS HD foot is Arca Swiss (if so marked), to allow a direct fit, but my preference would always be to attach a plate, not for balance, but to protect the foot of the scope. Maybe this is a hangover from my photography days, where a plate was always required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back