• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX - 80. Then and Now. (2 Viewers)

Sharpbill

I am considering buying an ATX 80 second hand. The year of manufacture is 2007. Does anyone know if there have been any noticeable improvements/changes over the intervening 17 years. Perhaps to lens coatings? Many thanks.

I am considering buying an ATX 80 second hand. The year of manufacture is 2007. Does anyone know if there have been any noticeable improvements/changes over the intervening 17 years. Perhaps to lens coatings? Many thanks.

Do you means ATS 80? Because ATX 85 were introduced in 2012

Yes Jason, the ATX - 80. The scope I am looking at buying was manufactured in 2007 but this model is still being made and sold. I wondered if there has been any upgrade since 2007 (lens coatings etc?)

There were two versions of the original ATS-80, HD and non-HD.
These were replaced by the ATM/STM scopes with magnesium alloy bodies in 65 and 80 mm and HD and non-HD versions.
With the introduction of the ATX/STX scopes in 2012 Swarovski reverted to aluminium bodies in the 65 and 80 mm ATS/STS scopes as the second tier but all versions are now HD.
There have been improvements in coatings since the original ATS versions but the differences are probably small. However, a non-HD ATS-80 is not to be recommended as it would show quite a lot of CA at higher magnifications.
HD versions, btw, have HD lettering on the focusser.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back