• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTX / ATX on 65mm (2 Viewers)

HenRun

Sweden
Hi Gang, I happened upon a second hand 65mm ATX in very good condition. I was primarily set on the ATX 25-60 zoom but I am much more comfortable using both eyes for extended viewing so I left the shop with a BTX module giving me a fixed 30X magnification.

I know the 65mm isn't the "best" companion for the BTX but so far I really like it. I am mostly a day time / fine weather observer. I did briefly try the ATX zoom in shop and thought the eye relief was great but I did feel like the BTX was more comfortable once set up, not to mention the experience of bino viewing which is very immersive with the BTX.

I would like some input from anyone who has used (or have) both and input on whether I should get the ATX further down the road - instead of returning the BTX for an ATX during the return period.

My line of reasoning is:

I like the BTX. I would not mind a zoom option though it is not the top priority.

The BTX makes for a more bulky package considering the 65mm module itself is pretty small. Weight is no concern for me. The bulk is manageable. But, compared to the ATX module the BTX is quite a bit larger. If I dedicate a bag/insert for it I think I will not think about it too much.

Getting an ATX eyepiece would get me considerably smaller package though. I could probably easily fit the ATX eyepiece in the field kit or choose to go lightweight and bring a smaller bino and the ATX/65mm on outings to keep size to a minimum.

Open question is:

For those of you that have the BTX - what are your thoughts on getting an ATX? Worthwhile?
If anyone has both - do you change between them frequently, bring them both on field excursions or do you not bother to bring both?

I know usage and preferences are highly subjective but I welcome any input.
For sure, I know I would like to add the ATX zoom but at the moment I can't neither afford it nor justify it.

I have a Meopta S2 / 82mm with the 20-70 eye piece as a loaner and the optics are superb but I find the eyepiece on the small side for my eyes and glasses compared to the recent offerings from Swarovski. Comparing the two side by side there are advantages to both and quite frankly I think the Meopta is a little bit better optically though I prefer the BTX viewing overall.

If you like the bino, why change? Maybe get the extender for higher power (though it might get a bit dark compared to the larger objectives).

Peter

I have a BTX (85) and I would not dream of getting an ATX. The comfort and immersion of using both eyes (yes, I am aware that owing to the physics of the BTX it is not true stereo binocular vision) is such, that one-eyed peering has absolutely no attraction for me, no matter how much less bulk there is. And if I should ever want to 'zoom' there is always the ME 1.7x, upping the magnification to 50x for the 85, and indeed your 65. YMMV

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I really like the bino viewing. I have been thinking about the extender but I think the 65mm will be pushing it a bit in terms of total loss of light. It will probably work just fine daytime. If I had the 85/95 I would get the extender for sure.

I did come across a new STX straight ocular at a whopping 40% discount at a known dealership. It sounds almost too good to be true. I have ordered it to be sent to our local shop. They had only one in stock, together with the padded case at an even greater discount. I have 14 days return period so at least I can give it a try.

How does the apparent field of view of the BTX compare to the NL Pure, how immersive is the view? I realised I just missed out on getting a view through a BTX recently, only noticed it in a picture of people I took….

Peter

I used the BTX for open field and counting on longer day and the comfort using both eyes for viewing, nothing can beat this setup! I have the ATX and STX for Digiscoping or walking in the rainforest. I still can take pics using the BTX with my smartphone on the VPA adapter though.

horukuru: thanks for the input. I am thinking I might like the STX as an add on to the kit. I did order the VPA adapter which was on clearance sale for $5... ...as well as the stx cover for a fifth of the original price. Those were the three items they were selling as clearance items.
I sure hope they make good on the pricing. Seems to me like it was a kit they need to get rid of.

horukuru: thanks for the input. I am thinking I might like the STX as an add on to the kit. I did order the VPA adapter which was on clearance sale for $5... ...as well as the stx cover for a fifth of the original price. Those were the three items they were selling as clearance items.
I sure hope they make good on the pricing. Seems to me like it was a kit they need to get rid of.

That's a steal!

The 60x on the 65mm and 70x on the 95mm really useful for me because I do a lot of digiscoping with video mode on 4k format.

Ah, cool! I visited your Borneo blog, seems like a really nice journey. :)
How do the Swaros cope with the humidity?

I am thinking about switching the modules in humidity. Not a problem?

All the best to you Jason, and thank you again.
We don't have that enormous fauna and flora in Sweden but I will make sure to give the Swaro a proper workout this summer!
/ Henrik

(..) I have a Meopta S2 / 82mm with the 20-70 eye piece as a loaner and the optics are superb but I find the eyepiece on the small side for my eyes and glasses compared to the recent offerings from Swarovski. Comparing the two side by side there are advantages to both and quite frankly I think the Meopta is a little bit better optically though I prefer the BTX viewing overall.
Last year, I replaced my ATX plus 65&95 lens modules with the Meopta S2 20-70x82. One reason for that has been just this smaller eyepiece diameter! The Swarovski ATX with any objective module is definitely a phantastic scope but the longer the more I disliked that bulky eyepiece. For my (!) physiognomy the Meopta ocular makes eye placement a lot easier and more pleasant. The BTX - which I never owned - might be a different story.

Last year, I replaced my ATX plus 65&95 lens modules with the Meopta S2 20-70x82. One reason for that has been just this smaller eyepiece diameter! The Swarovski ATX with any objective module is definitely a phantastic scope but the longer the more I disliked that bulky eyepiece. For my (!) physiognomy the Meopta ocular makes eye placement a lot easier and more pleasant. The BTX - which I never owned - might be a different story.
Interesting, goes to show how different people can be. I am glad there are alternatives for most, if not all. Optically I really like the Meopta, it is just the one eyed viewing I am not comfortable with. Easier with larger oculars but I prefer bino viewing for sure.

(...) it is just the one eyed viewing I am not comfortable with. Easier with larger oculars but I prefer bino viewing for sure.
So it seems clear to me that you should stick with the BTX, unique in the market and much acclaimed by many with good cause. And if someday you should desire for higher magnification or a smaller package you could add an ATX ocular module. And/or mayby a larger lens module: 85/95/105 after your fancy. The Swarovski *TX modular conception is alluring, isn't it?

Yes, you are correct. After spending some time with both the BTX and the Meopta S2 I find the BTX way more suitable for me.

I did happen to find a STX at 40% discount and it is en route for evaluation. I think I might find it agreeable and for the price it is worth a try. I traded one bino which almost covered the cost and if I send the STX back, well at least I tried.

If I had enjoyed angled (mono) ocular viewing I think the Meopta S2 is s stellar performer and I would have been very very happy with it.

(...) I did happen to find a STX at 40% discount and it is en route for evaluation. I think I might find it agreeable and for the price it is worth a try. I traded one bino which almost covered the cost and if I send the STX back, well at least I tried.

If I had enjoyed angled (mono) ocular viewing I think the Meopta S2 is s stellar performer and I would have been very very happy with it.
The STX could be the perfect complement to the BTX, better than an ATX! Not only do you gain a higher magnification and a smaller package but moreover the straight view - very useful e.g. on a chair, in a hide or in a car. And 40% off means a real bargain. 👍

I have a BTX (85) and I would not dream of getting an ATX. The comfort and immersion of using both eyes (yes, I am aware that owing to the physics of the BTX it is not true stereo binocular vision) is such, that one-eyed peering has absolutely no attraction for me, no matter how much less bulk there is. And if I should ever want to 'zoom' there is always the ME 1.7x, upping the magnification to 50x for the 85, and indeed your 65. YMMV
How do you find the 85mm BTX combo?

I hv the BTX on the 115mm lens but now with travel opening up again, I’m looking to replace with a smaller lens for portability. I also hv the ATX eyepiece but like you, going back to looking through 1 eye is no longer an option so I’d rather the fixed magnification and use the 1.7x magnifier if i hv to..

I’m debating between 65 and 85 but concerned the 65 is too small / dark and also EP is too small. The 85 seems to hv the best combinations and is signficantly smaller than the 115mm combination…

thoughts?

Moreover, the 85 is quite a bit smaller than the 95. But a BTX 85 would be markedly back-heavy, so you should provide for a longer QR plate / rail to equibrilate this combination on a tripod head without counterbalance mechanism.

Moreover, the 85 is quite a bit smaller than the 95. But a BTX 85 would be markedly back-heavy, so you should provide for a longer QR plate / rail to equibrilate this combination on a tripod head without counterbalance mechanism.
The 115 is the only objective that is well balanced with the BTX. The 65 and 95 are well balanced with the ATX. The 85 is back-heavy even with the ATX. That's why I don't own the 85 - the weight savings from the lens will be offset by the extra weight of the mount and tripod needed to support it. I can get a pretty lightweight set up with the 95 ATX side-mounted to a compact Jobu gimbal with the swing arm removed. For the BTX, you need one of the Swaro rails with two points of support, unless you're using the 115.

Well, received the STX today. It was a bargain buy for sure, as much as you can call any Swarovski purchase "a bargain".
However I have now finally realized that I don't like one eyed viewing. Straight ocular was nice in a way but I felt eye strain much too fast. And I have spent years behind cameras in the past. With the BTX viewing is really nice. Tried a gimbal but it could not cancel out the off set / balance with the BTX so I need to get me the balance rail and return the gimbal.

Time will tell if I upgrade to the 85mm module. It is nice to have the compact 65 though it looks a bit awkward on the BTX. I got it at a fair price and maybe I could sell it to someone with the 95/115 as a lightweight option and settle for the BTX/85 myself and be done. Having the 65 and 85 makes little sense - unless one has both ATX/STX and BTX, if so it would make sense.

If I was compatible with the ATX/STX I would have loved to stick with the 65 as it works well with them. Now I feel I don't really have an option outside of the scope of using "only" the BTX so I am thinking the 85 is the way to go for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back