• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

Nice Mocha Ken, and nice one on the Beautiful Marbled Allen indeed :t: (not Marbled Beauty).

3rd August - checked c7am 4th Aug

15 of 11 species - 3 Magpie and 2 Riband Wave the only multiples. Iron Prominent was new. Brimstone and Buff Ermine were outside the trap.

Quantity over quality perhaps?

6th August 2020, checked c7am, very wet still.

Out
LYU 9
Dingy Footman 2
Small Phoenix 3
Knot Grass 1
Flame Shoulder 1
Brimstone 1
Early Thorn 1
Ruby Tiger 1
Rosy Footman 1
Willow Beauty 1
July High Flyer 1
Riband Wave 1
= 23

In
LYU 55
Dingy Footman 4
Knot Grass 3
Small Phoenix 1
Pale Prominent 1
Lesser BBYU 2
Flame Shoulder 4
Ruby Tiger 2
Buff Ermine 1
Magpie 1
Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
July Highflyer 1

New -

Mullein Wave 1
Dark Twin-spot Carpet 2
Silver Y 1

= 81

19 of 104 in total I think

64 Large Yellow Underwing total, exciting stuff! ;)

Plus a few micros and geos which got away (separate thread for micro id, prob not worth an id thread for the 2 below).

I've got this down as
1- Mullein Wave ,
2 - Knot Grass,
3- Silver Y,
4 - Mullein Wave? Assume diff moth to 1) above?
5 - Possibly a worn Small Fan-footed Wave, or un-id'able??

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
A typically modest catch for me this morning, 63 of 26 species. The highlight was my first ever Calamotropha paludella: one book said 'scarce' and another 'local' but it turns out it is a pretty standard waterside moth nowadays, but being well-away from any water I am still pleased with it.

NFY were Small Rivulet (only my 8th in 16 years here and the latest of them by two days), Carcina quercana and Agriphila geniculea.

Most numerous was Marbled Beauty with 13, making a total of 55 in my last four catches.

Steve

Nice Mocha Ken, and nice one on the Beautiful Marbled Allen indeed :t: (not Marbled Beauty).

Your “split” for in and out is interesting Dan, as my in and out ratio is biased towards the out...very much so. Don’t think they enjoy their “cramped” lodgings in the pot, instead they hang out on the white wall behind the pot and the adjacent parasol. We were certainly singing from the same “prayer sheet”(Waves and Mochas)...page 132 in Lewingtons. ;)

It's always interesting to see other people's techniques. I tend to turn the trap on and leave it till the morning but I've been intrigued by the results gained by people sitting up over the trap - and guess what, I just popped out for a quick look and there was a Jersey Tiger sitting on the trap cover - its now in the fridge - tick!

On the in the trap or out the trap....I definitely get most of my good stuff from the surrounding wall, fence and plants, not all but lots. I would have missed a lot of garden ticks without my routine 15-20 minute checks.
I use the intervening period to identify and fill spreadsheets (one for the recorder and one for my stats) and/or watch a film if it is slow.

Last night was mailed out by my county recorder as compulsory, in good humour. Temp was high and moths poured in. 263 moths of 59 species by 03:00, some micros pending still. Only 4 new garden moths - Vestal, 2 Oak Processionary, Carnation Tortrix and Pyrausta purpuralis. I had hoped for more and some better, but 'ya get what ya get'. 38 Common Wainscot- sods, you have to check them all for better wainscots but only found 1 Smoky.

I finally managed a three-figure haul this morning, 117 moths of 36 species. Commonest were Marbled Beauty (30, a record), Riband Wave (11) and LBAM (11).

Best for me was a Brindled Plume (Amblyptilia punctidactyla) which is a lifer. Also NFY were Yellow-tail, Shaded Broad-bar, Small Fan-footed Wave, Catoptria falsella and Acrobasis advenella.

Despite the higher numbers just four Large and one Lesser Yellow Underwing.

Steve

Another decent night up here too, just into triple figures for numbers, and a decent 36 species, including three Thorns – Purple, Early and Dusky, that last a life tick. One of last week’s life ticks from Pembrokeshire, Chinese Character, was the only other addition to the garden list. Dingy Shell was only my second, a couple of Iron Prominents were the first for quite a while, and other highlights included Drinker, Blood-vein, July Highflyer, Pale Prominent and three Copper Underwings. Most numerous were Large Yellow Underwings on 39 (in the high thirties third time running), followed by 7 Riband Waves (again).

Attachments

• IMG_4262.JPG
    IMG_4262.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4187.JPG
    IMG_4187.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4065.JPG
    IMG_4065.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 17
Last night 7th/8th. Checked the trap around 6:30am

OUT: 10 Moths of 9 species; 2 Brimstone
IN: 47 moths of 17 species

Total: 57 of 21 species; 23 LYUnderwing followed by 8 Flame Shoulder.
Plus a few extra on the id thread.

Also 20-30 micros in, of a fair few species (photos taken)

NEW were:
Dark Sword Grass 2
Swallow Prominent 1
Sallow Kitten 1
Common Wainscot 1
Common Rustic agg 1
V-Pug 1
Small Square Spot Rustic 1

Photos; 1) Sallow Kitten, 2) this lot featured prominently in the interest stakes ...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Having done the micros, I added 3 ticks and 6 moths. Below my breakdown (from a mail to friends)-----
I was out till 03:30. It wasn’t just moths either, I had creatures from across the insect spectrum. Beetles in their hundreds, my coleopterist sadly on hol in SW, though I did take one he asked me to look out for – Polistichus connexus, which he was especially keen to get. Common Burying Beetle, Black Sexton Beetle, Eared Leafhopper, Red-legged Shieldbug, Lesser Stag Beetle and Roesel’s Bush-cricket all turned up and were easy to identify.
Best moth was a Vestal, a migrant usually. Other new for garden were Carnation Tortrix, Oak Processionary, Cochylis molliculana, Pyrausta purpuralis, Bryotropha domestica and Enarmonia formosana (Cherry Bark Tortrix). The last is probably the most exquisite moth I have ever looked at through a lens, unbelievable beautiful; photographs don’t really do it justice.
The real pain last night was Common Wainscot, of which 38, as you need to look at every one to rule out better Wainscots. I found a Smoky but no Southerns.
8 Tree-lichen Beauty, 5 Jersey Tiger, 10 Brimstone, 16 Riband Waves, 7 Least Carpets, 7 Shuttle-shaped Darts, 4 Catoptria falsella, 11 Blastobasis adustella, 5 Ruby Tiger, 13 Water Veneer, 5 Crassa unitella, 5 Acrobasis advenella, 3 Gypsy Moth, 1 Carcina quercana, 13 Willow Beauty, 2 Bird-cheery Ermine, 2 Pyrausta aurata, 2 Horse-chestnut Leaf Miner, 1 Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix, 2 Catoptria pinella, 9 Straw Underwing, 6 Oak Hook-tip, 5 Scarce Footman, 1 Pale Prominent, 2 Small Square-spot, 4 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, 7 Agriphila tristella, 4 Lime-specked Pug, 2 Setaceous Hebrew Characters, 5 Mother of Pearl, 2 Yellow Shell, 4 Cloaked Minor, 8 Endotricha flammealis, 2 Cochylimorpha straminea, 3 Grey Dagger agg., 2 Uncertain, 1 Box Tree Moth, 10 light Brown Apple Moth, 1 Scalloped Oak, 1 Silver Y, 1 Dusky Thorn, 2 Small Dusty Wave, 1 Common Footman, 1 Inlaid Grass Veneer, 1 Smoky Wainscot, 2 Codling Moth, 4 Agriphila straminella, 2 Small Waved Umber, 1 Diamond-backed Moth, 1 Agapeta hamana, 1 Scorched Carpet, 1 Small Rivulet, 1 Common Carpet, 2 Straw Dot, 1 Garden Pebble, 1 Argyrotaenia ljungiana, 1 Eucosma hohenwartiana, 1 Lyonetia clerkella. I throw away a fair few in aggs or are worn that I can’t do or I can’t be bother to do.

Nice - I do like a group shot.

The Pebble on the left was already doing a runner ... but best shot at the time and didn't want to do a regroup via the fridge or anything ... ;)

On the micro front realised Rusty Dot Pearl was new. Will look into the other micros another time.

Best moth was a Vestal, a migrant usually. Other new for garden were Carnation Tortrix, Oak Processionary, Cochylis molliculana, Pyrausta purpuralis, Bryotropha domestica and Enarmonia formosana (Cherry Bark Tortrix). The last is probably the most exquisite moth I have ever looked at through a lens, unbelievable beautiful; photographs don’t really do it justice.

I seem to recall the different shades of Vestal indicate where they are from? Presume yours was continental as opposed to African? Irregardless, nice one!

I'm assuming you have a reasonably decent or mature garden location ... ??

Just been out to check the trap (Buff Ermine the best), to bonus add Hedgehog outside the door to the garden and year list.

I seem to recall the different shades of Vestal indicate where they are from? Presume yours was continental as opposed to African? Irregardless, nice one!

I'm assuming you have a reasonably decent or mature garden location ... ??

Just been out to check the trap (Buff Ermine the best), to bonus add Hedgehog outside the door to the garden and year list.

Did you really say that Dan.....;)

Waste of time last night, very, very windy all night, 7 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 1 Marbled Beauty, 1 Riband Wave and a Commom / L-c Rustic.

Did you really say that Dan.....;)

Waste of time last night, very, very windy all night, 7 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 1 Marbled Beauty, 1 Riband Wave and a Commom / L-c Rustic.

Naughty naughty!

I seem to recall when we ran a moth trap on the Scillies 10 or so years ago being told that the Vestal we caught was so ... I think paler examples were more northerly, darker orange examples sub-Saharan. But could be wrong.

8th August 2020 Checked 6:45am, dry

31 of 14 macros, Square Spot Rustic was potentially new. 11 LYU, 3 Brimstone outside, with Pale Mottled Willow, Iron Prominent and Mullein Wave my faves otherwise.

11 micros, including Agapta hamana I believe.

Naughty naughty!

Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

I think it was President Bush who was roundly mocked for using it, that's all.

Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

I think it was President Bush who was roundly mocked for using it, that's all.

Was under the impression that 'irregardless' is the more usual UK usage, 'regardless' the US version? At any rate, I've always used the former ...

Interestingly, a search on BF using the search function comes up with 77 occasions 'irregardless' was used, and 0 for 'regardless'. (Could that be an error?)

(But I'd always like to think I'm a bit of a Nonconformist anyway ;) )

One more from last night - Twenty-plume Moth on the bedroom ceiling. Unrelated to the moth trap. Wondering - do people tend to keep a 'Garden Moth Trap List', or just a 'Garden Moth List' in general??

Last edited:
Was under the impression that 'irregardless' is the more usual UK usage, 'regardless' the US version? At any rate, I've always used the former ...

Interestingly, a search on BF using the search function comes up with 77 occasions 'irregardless' was used, and 0 for 'regardless'. (Could that be an error?)

(But I'd always like to think I'm a bit of a Nonconformist anyway ;) )

One more from last night - Twenty-plume Moth on the bedroom ceiling. Unrelated to the moth trap. Wondering - do people tend to keep a 'Garden Moth Trap List', or just a 'Garden Moth List' in general??

I'd say garden list, 'regardless' of whether a moth was trapped or not, it's still a record - you can try that search again now which I'd suggest isn't right, I'm sure I've used 'regardless' on numerous occasions ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back