• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn Watch (1 Viewer)

trealawboy said:
I agree, but it would be nice if they made shows that were of appeal to those of us who are "actively involved" once in a while. There seems to be few shows that are directed to 'niche' groups such as birdwatchers, entomologists, British wildlife enthusiasts etc. Most are intended for family or mass audiences.

I guess the BBC needs to justify its licence fee, but how many times do we have to endure Big Cat Diary, Springwatch and their ilk, which are essentially the same year on year? I'm afraid I don't watch these shows anymore. I've had my fill of wildebeast, lions, elephants and Bill Oddie.

I thought that the idea of the BBC was that they could make shows for niche markets, stuff that the commercial channels won't touch.

IF this show is intended for less involved yet caring people why oh why have they not metioned the disease that is still killing birds??? People out there are unknowingly killing with kindness.

Last edited:
Alex_sk said:
Yeah, how DO you know? Besides - who cares?

I think they get on pretty well on-screen.

Who says they have to be best mates? They're working together - not married!

Alex
I wish they were married then we could all have a really good laugh !

Tonight's show was very good I really liked Bill & Simons roaring Comp when Simon did his I was like thats a Gorrila & that what Bill said

Euan Buchan said:
Tonight's show was very good I really liked Bill & Simons roaring Comp when Simon did his I was like thats a Gorrila & that what Bill said

Sounds like I missed a televisual classic: I have no doubt that those two roaring at each other will enter the annals of broadcasting history.

I prefer a little more substance to my programmes.

Still, each to his own, I suppose.

Adey Baker said:
I thought tonight's programme wasn't too bad.

I think the main reason why we don't get a programme for birders as you suggest is the fact that there are also just as many other people as birders following dozens and dozens of other hobbies/interests who would also like their own tv show. If you make it populist like 'AW' then you get the kind of criticisms you see here, if it's at the heart of the specific interest then other viewers will complain that it's too esoteric and a waste of licence-payers' money!

As far as I can remember Bill Oddies rapid rise in popularity on the wildlife front stemmed from his superb series of 'Birding with Bill Oddie' I think this was the trigger for me to look more closley at birds rather than just having an interest in all wildlife. Didn't the other Bill Oddie programmes follow in the wake of the Birding' series? If so this does indicate that, if presented in such a way as to include a wider audience, then programmes that cover just a specific subject,e.g birds, can be successful.

Cheers

Dave

I have always enjoyed Chris Packham as a wildlife presenter. Now that the powers at be seem to have forgven him for his anti-cat position I would have liked to have seen him on the programme (rather than the rubbish they have him currently doing).

I agree that the sofa section is very difficult to watch and would like to see some fungi 'action' as this is the perfect time of the year.

Early programme report - more detail and could do better

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few.

Steve Jones said:
I fear the Deer coverage will get as boring as the 'foxes in the garden' coverage. If you'r going to send dear old simon all that way at least let him look at a few more things.

It already is. I got bored with the deer in the first programme - there's only so much roaring and fighting they can show, surely: 'Oh bloody hell, not the stags again?!'? There was a fleeting glimpse of a Golden Eagle in one programme and I'd have like to seen more of this, and other birds, than the boring deer.

I like Bill Oddie but I don think he's better in his own series (such as Birding with Bill Oddie) than he is with Kate H in these programmes.

d.steeley said:
As far as I can remember Bill Oddies rapid rise in popularity on the wildlife front stemmed from his superb series of 'Birding with Bill Oddie' I think this was the trigger for me to look more closley at birds rather than just having an interest in all wildlife. Didn't the other Bill Oddie programmes follow in the wake of the Birding' series? If so this does indicate that, if presented in such a way as to include a wider audience, then programmes that cover just a specific subject,e.g birds, can be successful.

Cheers

Dave

Very true, but they were, as you've hinted, programmes to get people interested in birds/wildlife rather than shows specifically for established birders as Jono was requesting. Even then, they had to go abroad (i.e. Florida) to give the show a bit of extra interest.

Hobby-based shows are always difficult to 'pitch' to the general audience that may watch them. With limited time available those who already have some knowledge of the subject have to sit through all the beginner/introductory bits before finally getting to the interesting bits in the last five minutes!

matt green said:
particularly enjoyed gordon buchanans seals coverage.

definately deserves his own series,instead of those silly ten minute filler programs before natural world.

matt

Yeh I agree, he is very good. I just wish they had advised the public to stay away from pupping beaches on the mainland, or at least watch from a distance. These creatures are quite easily disturbed by human activity, during the breeding season.

We had to rescue 2 pups 2 weeks ago after their mothers abandonded due to human disturbance, sadly both died. I feel this coverage will only encourage people to go out looking for them, and some people dont realise the damage they can do by going too close.

Rob Smallwood said:
Programmes like Autumnwatch appeal greatly to those who are probably far less actively involved in birding or wildlife watching than many of us, and encourages them to get more actively involved - so I think it is a success from that point of view alone.
Well said Rob, I too think it is a success, although not quite as good as Springwatch.

I think it's great, infact better than springwatch. Martin Mere is near where i live.

I find migration fascinating and the red deer drama even better than the otters, it's like a soap opera and boxing match rolled into one. I am now waiting in tension for brutus and his murderous antlers, hopefully he will not inflict to much damage.

Both these topics are the sort of thing i go out to try find and watch myself.

It's comfort viewing and every episode I learn a bit more.

Beats the 'serious' stuff of analysing the tertial fringes of escaped birds and the mantle shades of grey on gulls anyday of the week.

Steven Astley said:
I think it's great, infact better than springwatch. Martin Mere is near where i live.

I find migration fascinating and the red deer drama even better than the otters, it's like a soap opera and boxing match rolled into one. I am now waiting in tension for brutus and his murderous antlers, hopefully he will not inflict to much damage.

Both these topics are the sort of thing i go out to try find and watch myself.

It's comfort viewing and every episode I learn a bit more.

Beats the 'serious' stuff of analysing the tertial fringes of escaped birds and the mantle shades of grey on gulls anyday of the week.

Well, if you like Soap Operas and boxing, chacun a son gout, I suppose.

Some of us don't.

[quote

Hobby-based shows are always difficult to 'pitch' to the general audience that may watch them. With limited time available those who already have some knowledge of the subject have to sit through all the beginner/introductory bits before finally getting to the interesting bits in the last five minutes![/QUOTE]

why do they have to be for a general audience there could be a show similar to the many fishing shows on the discovery channel which assume a reasonable level of knowledge and then start from there a birding/wildlife show along these lines would surely have a large audlence

Mere disruption

As a regular visitor to Martin Mere, I welcomed the "Autumnwatch" coverage from an absolutely superb reserve where we have spent may happy hour seeing many birds there for some time. On visiting the centre last Thursday, I found the place overrun with innapropriately dressed "media" people answering mobile phones in hides. There were masses of equipment and outside broadcast trucks as well as huge lighting and crane rigs...surely this might be a factor in influencing the stop off for migrant wildfowl. Some of the staff at the centre seemed tense and a little distracted..the regular helpful birders seemed thin on the ground. We saw Pink Feet, Whoopers and Kingfisher, then left at lunchtime severley disgruntled. Later over the weekend I found where most of the regular birders had temporarily migrated to Marshside, Mere Sands Wood and Leighton Moss. Hooray!!! A great weekends birding ...eventually but the "Autumnwatch" experience was enough to make me think of such darker moments as to (no surely not) hang up my bins. I appreciate the programme is a mammoth production task and helps create interest in wildlife watching and the environment...but it's a whole different ball game when its in your back yard. I do enjoy moments in the Autumnwatch broadcasts and find them encouraging and informative especially for children Good on the WWT for shouldering this disruption as well as hopefully generating interest and boosting visitor numbers to the reserve. Just look forward to getting back to normal.
See you all back there soon

The stags coverage is getting bit boring now it's never really new it's just repeating most of the stuff & all that rewinding during the fights is to much. As for Gordon Buchanan I kind of find him bit boring just my opion

Yes, I enjoyed it far more tonight: more birds. Liked the knot film, and they responded to those "campaigning" for something about finch disease too. Seeing Oddie stomping around my usual plodding ground at Marshside without name-checking it was amusing.

Most TV is tripe so I don`t watch very much.However,I enjoyed the pure magic of the Knot scenes (accompanied by one of my favourite pieces of music.)At the moment,in this part of the country ,I am fascinated by the daily spectacle of the migrating Pink Footed Geese,(around 30,000 of them)Wonderful,awesome sight!And noisy!The afternoon was spent enjoying the close proximaty of a very tame Robin in the garden.I didn`t think to ask if he was German!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back