• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch 2013 Returns 29th October (3 Viewers)

Just wish they would do away with that Martin bloke. I thought that going in the reed beds with his light on was pointless [ and dangerous- can't remember him saying at any time that people should not do it], and driving down the Causeway in his jeep [which I belive is only to be used as access for the RSPB and farm at the end]. Just appeared to me to give the idiots an idea to do something which could end up injuring sombody.

Otherwise did enjoy the rest of the programme.

Autumnwatch was great to watch last night. It is 'based' at Leighton Moss, and it is the best area for Starling numourations. Hope that there is a chance to see the Bearded tits feeding from the grit Trays
Did not know that Deer hid in the Reed bed so that was intersting. Loved the Otters.

We have Freeview TV. Press the Red button (or Channel 301) for Autumnwatch Unsprung (after the main programme) with Nick Baker (Chris was giving Nick a hard time for his first presentation of AW Unsprung poor man)

The 'trained' Starlings where fabulous up close and personal, and great to watch in the studio.
I did not do well with the competition at all for the bird calls

Looking forward to tonights programme.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Bit annoying it's only in for 4 days why can't it be like it used to be 2 weeks

I agree, somehow AW is just the best for 2 weeks as it gives something for us to get our teeth on into - and it lacks something now

I think it is because of the extra progammes we have had this year at the beginning of the year, and other 'interesting' nik naks to keep us entertained.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I thought the presenters were a little subdued but perhaps that's me.
Not sure about Unsprung that also seemed less energetic although the starlings were very fascinating. Thought Nick was even more "incompetent" than Martin, but enough negativity the programme was very good. They are a good team and the Alpha bins are nicely distributed assuming Michaela was using Zeiss.

Plenty of birds in tonight's programme. The shots of the Bearded Reedlings (do I really have to call them that?) were excellent. Nice to see another John Aitchison film too after a couple of years.

Ron

Programme 1 was good. I can back Packham's word...the orange drizzle cake is really historic but so is the date and walnut. I cant get a feel of the reserve and the expanse of it. Maybe they will show that in another programme. The way they talked about the badgers as if they do transmit bovine tb.....is that true?

Excellent to see the Hen Harriers demise been highlighted on the show tonight, we all hoped it would of been and I think in the time allocated the didn't do a bad job.

Plenty of birds in tonight's programme. The shots of the Bearded Reedlings (do I really have to call them that?) were excellent. Nice to see another John Aitchison film too after a couple of years.

Ron

No you don't. Despite twenty years or more of attempts by academic numpties common usage remains Bearded Tit, and to hell with those who dare mess with it.

John

After watching 3 programmes I think that something is missing. The series is not as striking as I hoped. They are much too late with the bird migration theme . it cannot be done in 4 days non-stop. There have been Long-tailed Duck and Glossy Ibis over the last 5-6 days.

I feel they have not done the reserve any justice and rushed the footage and scenes. I have nt captured the essence and spirit of the reserve while watching even though I am recognising where they are filming. I am glad they visited Gait Barrows but that got a very brief mention even though its such a great and unique place.

It would be nice if they filmed Winterwatch here and Springwatch.

I agree. Four days is not long enough to film everything. They could have spent two weeks filming the migrations.

Do you think that they are rigging the venue for a better winter watch?

There was no footage or mention of Bittern which is one of Leighton Moss star species. The bearded Tits which are such a rare sight for us at this end of the country, was more or less glossed over in that short clip they had and spoilt about what clothes they were wearing. There was next to no footage of Leighton Moss in its entirity. No mention of Eric Morecambe and the hide named after him [ of his statue in Morecambe]. Too much time spent with that Martin bloke who's knowledge is iffy [who cannot tell Godwits apart, and also got some of the waders ID wrong.] Wish Bill would come back even for a short run like this.

We visit Leighton Moss and it surrounding areas in spring and at this time of the year and I think if they ask us whilst we are there if we enjoyed the programme it has to be a no. I agree with Himalaya they did not do the place justice.

Last edited:
I missed one programme, but the stuff that was in the remainder seemed excellent to me. The Springwatch team has a mission to engage ordinary people wherever they are and some of the item selection in aid of that has to be stuff that could happen anywhere. They can't afford to get bogged down showing only the local highlights.

I thought the balance was good, especially the migration stuff where they managed to fit in not only the mainstream migration events such as Pinks and Fieldfares but also mentions of scarce migrants like Glossy Ibis (are they really breeding - anyone else notice that last night?), vagrants such as the Myrtle Warler on Lundy (spring photo not of the individual) and even the Norfolk Humpback. What's not to like?

My guess is they avoided Bittern because they will be easier in Winterwatch, for my money that's where those will star.

And wasn't Nick Baker good? I remember we had a thread a couple of years ago where his fans came out in force. Do you think we might have made a bit of a difference?

Anyway - I shall be there for Winterwatch.

John

Four days is not long enough to film everything. They could have spent two weeks filming the migrations.

I agree totally. The main issue for me was that a lot of the "pieces" were pre-recorded some time ago and hence apart from the night cams I saw very little of the reserve on the two programmes I watched.

CB

I have to be honest and say i was bored for large portions of the program. PLUS why are there three presenters, when one would suffice.

The Ray Mears series wild Britain was more my cup of tea.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back