• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avimo 7x42 Military Binocular (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Not a birding bin !! but might be interesting.

A nice example of a fixed focus 7x42 binocular made by Avimo for the UK military, in very good condition. Avimo took over the historic Ross company in 1975. Ross were major suppliers of binoculars to the British military and this role was then fulfilled by Avimo. This binocular entered service with the British army in the early 80's and were used in the Falklands conflict. They were reportedly not popular as the eye pieces are above the objective lens causing soldiers to raise their heads above cover, however some rectified this by using them upside down. They must have been considered to be suitable as they remained in service for over 3 decades, and are very likely still in use in some places. The binoculars have no focus adjustment instead they have an incredible depth of field meaning everything from around 10m to infinity is in focus, this makes picking up a moving target very quick and easy, although using them myself, anything closer than about 20yds is hopeless.

They are rubberised and apparently waterproof and nitrogen filled.There is a reticule in the right hand tube marked in Mils. This enables you to establish the range of an object of known size or size of an object at a known distance. The binoculars have a strap and eye piece covers which are on retaining strings and can be attached to the strap with a press-stud fastening riveted to the cover.

They have a small pouch on the strap containing some grey filters which can be fitted to the eyepieces to be used in very bright conditions. Optically they are very good, bright and for a fixed focus glass very sharp. The FOV is good, you have to push your eye sockets right into the rubber cups, but they are very comfortable to use. I initially thought that the USA military 7x50 individual eye focus binoculars like the Bushnell navigator, Swift Seahawk/ Fujinon AR may be a bit sharper, however comparing with my Bushnell Navigator there really is not much in it. A non rubberised version under license was made for the civilian market by Rollei retailing at around £900. They were also copied by the Russians and were marketed under the Belomo name again I believe for around £900. These do not seem to have been that popular, which is not surprising as for that sort of money or even a bit less the best of Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski would have been available. Also they are heavy and not very asthetically pleasing for sport and leisure use. They are a purely functional, solid, tough military tool, and a very good one.

Attachments

• AVIMO-7X42.JPG
    AVIMO-7X42.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 217
  • AVIMO-7X42...JPG
    AVIMO-7X42...JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 340
They look a lot like the binoculars from Rollei. So much so that I'm wondering if there is a connection........

Not a birding bin !! but might be interesting.

A nice example of a fixed focus 7x42 binocular made by Avimo for the UK military, in very good condition. Avimo took over the historic Ross company in 1975. Ross were major suppliers of binoculars to the British military and this role was then fulfilled by Avimo. This binocular entered service with the British army in the early 80's and were used in the Falklands conflict. They were reportedly not popular as the eye pieces are above the objective lens causing soldiers to raise their heads above cover, however some rectified this by using them upside down. They must have been considered to be suitable as they remained in service for over 3 decades, and are very likely still in use in some places. The binoculars have no focus adjustment instead they have an incredible depth of field meaning everything from around 10m to infinity is in focus, this makes picking up a moving target very quick and easy, although using them myself, anything closer than about 20yds is hopeless.

They are rubberised and apparently waterproof and nitrogen filled.There is a reticule in the right hand tube marked in Mils. This enables you to establish the range of an object of known size or size of an object at a known distance. The binoculars have a strap and eye piece covers which are on retaining strings and can be attached to the strap with a press-stud fastening riveted to the cover.

They have a small pouch on the strap containing some grey filters which can be fitted to the eyepieces to be used in very bright conditions. Optically they are very good, bright and for a fixed focus glass very sharp. The FOV is good, you have to push your eye sockets right into the rubber cups, but they are very comfortable to use. I initially thought that the USA military 7x50 individual eye focus binoculars like the Bushnell navigator, Swift Seahawk/ Fujinon AR may be a bit sharper, however comparing with my Bushnell Navigator there really is not much in it. A non rubberised version under license was made for the civilian market by Rollei retailing at around £900. They were also copied by the Russians and were marketed under the Belomo name again I believe for around £900. These do not seem to have been that popular, which is not surprising as for that sort of money or even a bit less the best of Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski would have been available. Also they are heavy and not very asthetically pleasing for sport and leisure use. They are a purely functional, solid, tough military tool, and a very good one.

Hi Ben:

The auto focus Blarney is the single straw that turned me to writing 30 years or so ago. Most recently, while working with optics at Ft. Lewis, I learned some of the soldiers required that they be given the same serial numbered piece of night-vision gear as they went out on patrol. It seemed that some of America’s “best and brightest” were too cranially challenged to turn a huge diopter ring (an/pvs-14), and their leaders were too aloof or cranially challenged to show them. I felt it was like the guy who wants to be a guitar player, but doesn't want to take the time to learn how to tune the thing!

Oh, I have no doubt that we could win the next war we get into. But, how many will die while the Pentagon is searching high and low for an ounce of common sense. :cat:

Bill

The following is from the ethereal book:

8 "I want an 'auto-focus' binocular; MY BROTHER HAS ONE.”

The Fallacy: This represents a great advance in modern optics.

The Fact: This represents a great advance in misleading nonsense*; there are no non-electronic auto-focus binoculars.

* I watered that down a great deal from what I was really wanting to say so that I would not have to tax the repentance process.

Despite what you have read, been told, or think you have experienced for yourself, there are no non-electronic “auto-focus” binoculars.

“But how can that be; I saw it myself?”

The power of suggestion!

Focusing your binocular for distances from 5 to 500 feet, you might turn the focus wheel over three quarters of a turn. Focusing from 500 feet to 5,000,000,000 miles, however, may require less than 1/8th of a turn.

To illustrate: Hold your hand one foot in front of your face and concentrate until you can see the swirls on the tips of your fingers. Then while keeping your fingers sharply focused, try to look at a wall or some object one foot farther away. Oops! It cannot be done. We cannot focus on two objects simultaneously—separated in our line of sight by only a foot—at close range.

Next, look at trees or buildings a mile or more away. Notice that although some of those trees or buildings may be separated by more than 300 feet along your line-of-sight, they are all in sharp focus. Distance and depth of field make the difference.

Photo, Illustration, or Comment 2 photos illustrating the last two concepts

When focused for a distance of 80 yards or so, most handheld binoculars of moderate power will provide reasonably good imagery up close (~40 feet) and at infinity. They must be refocused, however, if they are to provide optimum clarity at either extreme. Yes, you will be able to see distant trees and the license plate on the car across the street—possibly making you believe you have an auto-focusing binocular. However, if you want to see the leaves on those trees, or the dirt specks on the license plate, you will have to refocus.

Although the gimmickry has subsided somewhat over the last few years, it will not go completely away as long as the trusting, untutored consumers are prepared to spend their money on today’s equivalent of “snake oil.”

Even so, others have seen the sham for what it is. The following is from the All Best Binoculars Internet site:

Q: “So why are they called auto focus binoculars if they don’t automatically focus?”

A: “That’s a good question. The answer can probably be found in the world of marketing, many years ago. Auto focus sounds much more exciting and groundbreaking than fixed focus. Now, the name has been used for so long, that there’s no real reason to fix it…except that newcomers to the optics game are consistently confused by it, and rightfully so.”

Photo, Illustration, or Comment Photo Illustrating Depth of Field

Some companies market binoculars that do not have a focus mechanism, supporting the idea that no focusing is required. The real magic here is in the ad campaign and not the binocular. These instruments force the user's eyes to adapt to their fixed-focus setting. This can lead to eyestrain, headaches, and less than crisp imagery at most distances.

Last edited:
Hi Ben,
I never tried to get an Avimo as I have little accomodation and am longsighted.
I gave a fixed focus binocular, multicoloured outside, to a young friend, who likes it.

A couple of years ago an aircraftman, a weather forecaster, still had one at work, and used it regularly for astronomy also.
They are probably still used by the military.

I think Rollei made them under licence, or bought the rights?
Made in Taunton??

I think some police officers also use fixed focus binoculars. They are instantly available if neutral eyesight. They don't need to look at anything close. They use their unaided eyes.

If you are twenty years old they may work fine.

The Minolta Autofocus 8x23 is a very fine glass that focuses almost instantly in good light and at 15 yards is sharper than top quality binoculars on walking people.
It needs a battery. If it was combined with Canon IS it would be almost unbeatable. But complex and bulky.

P.S.
How much does it weigh?

Last edited:
Hi Ben:

The auto focus Blarney is the single straw that turned me to writing 30 years or so ago. Most recently, while working with optics at Ft. Lewis, I learned some of the soldiers required that they be given the same serial numbered piece of night-vision gear as they went out on patrol. It seemed that some of America’s “best and brightest” were too cranially challenged to turn a huge diopter ring (an/pvs-14), and their leaders were too aloof or cranially challenged to show them.

Hi Bill,
that's interesting, actually makes them sound as though they were too lazy to bother to focus again. I can see how fixed focus might make life easier in combat and be good enough to do the job, but I am amazed they made these for the civilian market, especially at the price they charged, they can never show the detail a good glass that you can focus properly will show. I actually think the US 7x50 IF glasses are better, but I reckon you could bang nails into wood with these and still be able to use them.

Ben

Hi Ben,
I never tried to get an Avimo as I have little accomodation and am longsighted.
I gave a fixed focus binocular, multicoloured outside, to a young friend, who likes it.

A couple of years ago an aircraftman, a weather forecaster, still had one at work, and used it regularly for astronomy also.
They are probably still used by the military.
I think Rollei made them under licence, or bought the rights?
Made in Taunton??
I think some police officers also use fixed focus binoculars. They are instantly available if neutral eyesight. They don't need to look at anything close. They use their unaided eyes.
If you are twenty years old they may work fine.
The Minolta Autofocus 8x23 is a very fine glass that focuses almost instantly in good light and at 15 yards is sharper than top quality binoculars on walking people.
It needs a battery. If it was combined with Canon IS it would be almost unbeatable. But complex and bulky.
P.S.
How much does it weigh?

Hi Binastro,

They weigh 2lb 9oz. I bought them out of curiosity, not sure I will keep them. Rollei made the civilian model under license, I can see the Military or Police application, I expect the army still use them, not least because they must be virtually unbreakable.
I would not have a use for them myself, but I guess they might make a decent Marine binocular. My Canon IS is growing on me, I like it a lot.

Ben

"but I reckon you could bang nails into wood with these and still be able to use them"

I agree they're a stout binocular but I believe their weakness lies in the hinge arms which are fairly thin and under stress prone to becoming bent. It's reported that during the Falklands War they had a tendency to lose collimation and that then were disassembled and used as monoculars which might have been the result of the hinge arms getting bent.

The binocular has cemented Porro I prisms giving a very bright view and optically I like it a lot. Also, they have lots of eyerelief and are usable for eyeglass wearers.

With a small Allen key and bladed spanner wrench focus can be adjusted by moving the objective lenses in or out (but this is not easily done in the field when people are shooting at you).

The construction is very simple. Note the cemented Porro I prism unit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/15775059139/

Last edited:
The binocular has cemented Porro I prisms giving a very bright view and optically I like it a lot. Also, they have lots of eyerelief and are usable for eyeglass wearers.

With a small Allen key and bladed spanner wrench focus can be adjusted by moving the objective lenses in or out (but this is not easily done in the field when people are shooting at you).

The construction is very simple. Note the cemented Porro I prism unit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/15775059139/

Thanks Frank, nice to see inside one, looks quite simple. Interesting the default setting is -1 diopter, that is exactly my usual setting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back