• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Blue Jay Help (1 Viewer)

Ms.AnimalLover

Canada
Hello, I am a new member from Alberta, Canada and have found your forum while searching for info about baby Blue Jays. A few days ago in my yard I came upon 3 baby blue jays being attacked by magpies. I quickly chased away the bullies and sadly only 2 of them were alive. Not knowing what to do I quickly made a nest with coco mat and lined the inside with feathers. Then placed it in a hole I dug in a large planter under the tree that they were nesting in. I had gardners gloves on so i scooped them up dropped them in the nest and said a prayer The next day I noticed from afar God answered, they were both alive, one doing better that the other. Day 2 noticed mom and dad found them and were feeding them. Day 4, looking out my window I see one of the babys has jumped out of the nest and is on the ground ........ should i place him back up in the nest i made in the planter? its about 4 feet off the ground.He can't get back in on his own. Mom and dad are ok with me now . thanks so much ,what a great , helpful bunch you all are. wendy in Alberta.

Hi Wendy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. If you have any questions after reading that, please don't be afraid to come back and ask.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there Wendy and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

You did a great thing for those juvies and they are probably at the or near the age where they would normally fledge from the nest where the parents will feed them on the ground. I would suggest if you don't see that happening I would place the little one back in the nest and hopefully the parents will continue to feed them both. You did a great thing and I thank you for your care and yes, please keep us updated. (y)

Hello, I am a new member from Alberta, Canada and have found your forum while searching for info about baby Blue Jays. A few days ago in my yard I came upon 3 baby blue jays being attacked by magpies. I quickly chased away the bullies and sadly only 2 of them were alive. Not knowing what to do I quickly made a nest with coco mat and lined the inside with feathers. Then placed it in a hole I dug in a large planter under the tree that they were nesting in. I had gardners gloves on so i scooped them up dropped them in the nest and said a prayer The next day I noticed from afar God answered, they were both alive, one doing better that the other. Day 2 noticed mom and dad found them and were feeding them. Day 4, looking out my window I see one of the babys has jumped out of the nest and is on the ground ........ should i place him back up in the nest i made in the planter? its about 4 feet off the ground.He can't get back in on his own. Mom and dad are ok with me now . thanks so much ,what a great , helpful bunch you all are. wendy in Alberta.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and advice. It has been a few hours and the 1 blue jay is still out of the nest and the other guy is up in the planter by himself and I am worried that he will jump out and try to find his sibling. The problem is that its been raining and there are puddles all around the planter as well as stepping stones and he is weaker. There isn't much cover under my big spruce tree, I took a little basket and lined it with a bit of cocoa mat and 3 or 4 handfuls of sphagnum moss and made the nest topped with a few fluffy feathers. Should i attempt to put the other guy in the basket nest and put it on the ground so they can be together, Im assuming the bluejay on the ground will hear his sibling and hop over and hopefully together cuddle down for the damp cool night. I hope I don't sound totally crazy, lol I have been leaving them alone since I rescued them, but now that they are apart I'm worried they might start to cry and alert the magpies.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would leave the juveniles alone. Their parents are nearby and know what they are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back