• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just trying to do the right thing w these birds in the side of my house (1 Viewer)

davevarga

United States
Hi Newbie Dave here! I live in New Jersey, in a wooden clapboard house. And there is a hole in the side of the house and each year in the wall there are sparrows that live there and generate babies and chirp a lot and move around a lot and make enough noise that it is problematic for me. I need to get rid of all of them but I want to strategically pick the time. I want any fledglings to be safely out of the nest and the bird family removed far enough from cold weather so that they all can find another place to live.
I found the below reference in blue. Based on the below it appears that by the end of August or very beginning of September I can scare them out of their residence, and then plug up the hole in the side of my house. Any comments?

The main nesting season is from April to August, although nesting has been recorded in all months. Most birds lay two or three clutches, but in a good year fourth attempts are not uncommon.

The young sparrows fledge after 14–17 days. House Sparrows often have 2–4 broods per year.

Hi Dave and welcome to BirdForum!!
The only way to fix this is to plug up the hole so I would definitely wait until the last fledglings leave and have at it.

Hi Dave and welcome to BirdForum!!
The only way to fix this is to plug up the hole so I would definitely wait until the last fledglings leave and have at it.
So when the chirping in the wall stops at the end of August or beginning of September, that is a good time.

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Agree with what KC said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back