• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby S (2 Viewers)

My guess: Just selling NLs (or, for that, SFLs, UVHDs and MHGs) will not keep you in business for many more years.
Maybe. But Euro watch makers seem to be doing just fine (even though the advent of digital watches should have killed them off in your analysis), Euro luxury car makers don't seem to be doing too badly either. The high end binocular market (and I'd instinctively have to agree with Jan that the high end is very different to the $200 or even $500 categories) is more like those industries and products. I actually wonder if going down the path of "smart" gadgetry like the Visio is the right strategy, as the real masters of gadgetry and tech design and production are the Japanese and Americans. What Europe is really good at doing is making things seem sexy, stylish and desirable, and catering to the niche high end market with highly refined and sophisticated (and expensive) products. So long as they can keep doing that, and there's a market for their products, Leica et al will be in business. The niche, in terms of the wealthy to super-wealthy client, is getting bigger not smaller. That niche does not include most of us, but it's getting bigger.

I can see a (rich) grandparent splashing out on these a present for a nature loving 9-year grandchild but for that money I would expect some longevity. A well made pair of binoculars can be usable for many decades. I can't see a grandchild wanting to use these when they are are 15 let alone 25.
I gave my keen birdwatcher nephew my EL SV 8.5x42 when I upgraded to the NL Pure and despite his young age (11) he was very appreciative. Seems like a better value proposition but I have to admit these baby Swaros look mighty cute, and that argument often wins the day.

And for info, the green ones have a 'mint' taste and the blue ones, 'cotton candy' taste.... Swarovski indicates that you can even lick them !!!! 😋
But all the green ones have veiling glare -- the blue ones have Leica lenses, are too heavy, and have excessive chromatic aberration.

at first this sounds like a great idea - 7x! And 7x with bigger aperture than the Curio. That's exactly what I like - could it replace my vintage 7x35 porros with modern glass? Right away I'm thinking - does it have the thumb grooves I dislike?? Question #1. No pics of the underside.

No diopter adjustment? Wow is all I can say. What are they thinking? When was that invented, like 1800's? So it's like a handicapped binocular you can give your kid? When I was a kid everybody in the family used the same 7x35's and I certainly didn't want any compromises for being a kid. I would avoid a "kid's" bino...it sounds like a term for a regular bino with defects.

The thumb groove thing bears monitoring though. Swaro got rid of it for the first time in decades with the NL Pures. If these don't have it maybe they finally waved the white flag on that unwelcome innovation. And I see regular strap lugs on these as well.

OK, her are my findings.
First of all, as an optics purist I am extremely disappointed Swaro went this way.
Having said that, the Chinese did a hell of a job.
The view is crystal clear, the bin is built as a tank, it has the same weight and volume as the CL30 line (see pics CLoriginal, CLcurrent, Junior) and most important it is suited for addults. No blackouts or what so ever.
From Gijs I understood that he will compare the light transission when they will come available in May with the Bantam.
Personally I am sure sales will be 80% addults and 20% kids. So commercially Swaro will shoot themselves in the foot. This bin will be a competitor for the CL8x30 line.
BTW, weight is 498 gram and close focus is 4 meters instead of 250 gram and 2.5 meters as mentioned in the Benelux catalogue.

Jan

Attachments

• SW Junior1.jpg
    SW Junior1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 92
  • SW Junior2.jpg
    SW Junior2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 81
  • SW Junior3.jpg
    SW Junior3.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 85
  • SW Junior4.jpg
    SW Junior4.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Hi Jan,

Thanks for pictures. You mean this binocular is made in China, and the optical class is good?
That is ok for me. The result is what matters.
Regarding the lack of right eye diopter adjustment this is a drawback only for people with different diopters for left and right eye when using the binocular without eyeglasses or contact lenses. So for me it's about if the eye relief is satisfactory for use with eyeglasses.
I am looking forward for more information about the optical performance and usable eye relief.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for pictures. You mean this binocular is made in China, and the optical class is good?
That is ok for me. The result is what matters.
Regarding the lack of right eye diopter adjustment this is a drawback only for people with different diopters for left and right eye when using the binocular without eyeglasses or contact lenses. So for me it's about if the eye relief is satisfactory for use with eyeglasses.
I am looking forward for more information about the optical performance and usable eye relief.
Hi S,

I don't know how they managed it but normally I have 2 diopter clicks + but with this bin left and right was even sharp.
With and without eyeglasses I experienced the same FOV and no blackouts.
It is a really easy to use bin with absolute decent optics.
From close focus to max infinity you have to rotate the focusser for almost 1 turn. It won't go further.
The metal eyecups have 2 clicks.

Jan

The thumb groove thing bears monitoring though. Swaro got rid of it for the first time in decades with the NL Pures. If these don't have it maybe they finally waved the white flag on that unwelcome innovation.
LOL, you really do dislike these thumb grooves?
I don't like them on my EL 12x50 either (the same with the EL 10x42), but on the SLC 8x42 they are exactly on the right position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back