• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Placement or Advertising? (1 Viewer)

Tringa45

Europe
Yesterday evening I watched a programme on 3sat, "Die Magie der Vögel", the magic of birds. Now 3sat is a cooperative of public TV companies in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and is theoretically free of advertising.
This Austrian-produced programme showed various aspects of birdwatching but curiously every binocular and scope was a Swarovski!
Examples were an elderly woman observing without glasses and without extended eyecups on her EL and junior school kids taking part in a birdrace with ELs and NLs!
The sole exception was a baby looking through two toilet rolls but with "Swarovski" written on one of them.
The only instance where Swarovski was absent was in the end credits. All in all not very convincing.

John

Yesterday evening I watched a programme on 3sat, "Die Magie der Vögel", the magic of birds. Now 3sat is a cooperative of public TV companies in Germany, Switzerland and Austria and is theoretically free of advertising.
This Austrian-produced programme showed various aspects of birdwatching but curiously every binocular and scope was a Swarovski!
Examples were an elderly woman observing without glasses and without extended eyecups on her EL and junior school kids taking part in a birdrace with ELs and NLs!
The sole exception was a baby looking through two toilet rolls but with "Swarovski" written on one of them.
The only instance where Swarovski was absent was in the end credits. All in all not very convincing.

John
Seems like blatant product placement to me. I haven't watched the programme you mentioned but I have seen many productions with Andreas Kieling in it sporting Swarovskis on his chest with eyecups not extended (notably x32 ELs) In other (older) productions he uses Leicas and Zeiss binoculars (eyecups extended) and other gear like Canon DSLRs with the brand names taped or not as easily recognised as such...

Mr Kieling is a rather prominent wildlife filmmaker on German public television.

Advertising is something a publication charges for, a seller pays. Product placement is as normal and common as... whatever. A manufacturer/seller of stuff, (we might "guess" Swarovski here), pays to produce the show then an outlet, magazine, station, decides the value of the content in lieu of its own production or content purchasing costs, makes the presence of branded product acceptable. Product placement often occurs after advertising is purchased. It is a quid pro quo. Common, (imagine it still is) in the old days when magazines ruled. You want photos of your stuff in and among our stories, editorial? Buy some advertising please. Same was and probably still is true of what gets written. Here's an abbreviated real life overheard conversation between an advertising director and a largish publication. "You want us to keep buying advertising?" the conversation went, "then knock of the negative comment about our product." Then there's direct gifting of product to influential writers. We should not be naive or surprised about this. Where do we think the positive reviews of stuff that often gets posted here in support of one BFers preference, come from? Objective? Fairly questioned. We as consumers being aware is totally appropriate. Ever notice, wonder how come Zeiss is the only optics brand to have a presence here on Birdforum's front page?

Advertising is something a publication charges for, a seller pays. Product placement is as normal and common as... whatever. A manufacturer/seller of stuff, (we might "guess" Swarovski here), pays to produce the show then an outlet, magazine, station, decides the value of the content in lieu of its own production or content purchasing costs, makes the presence of branded product acceptable. Product placement often occurs after advertising is purchased. It is a quid pro quo. Common, (imagine it still is) in the old days when magazines ruled. You want photos of your stuff in and among our stories, editorial? Buy some advertising please. Same was and probably still is true of what gets written. Here's an abbreviated real life overheard conversation between an advertising director and a largish publication. "You want us to keep buying advertising?" the conversation went, "then knock of the negative comment about our product." Then there's direct gifting of product to influential writers. We should not be naive or surprised about this. Where do we think the positive reviews of stuff that often gets posted here in support of one BFers preference, come from? Objective? Fairly questioned. We as consumers being aware is totally appropriate. Ever notice, wonder how come Zeiss is the only optics brand to have a presence here on Birdforum's front page?
Yes, Tom, but where you come from everything is commercial ;) and that also applies to Birdforum.
However, one would expect impartiality and freedom from commercial influence from the BBC for instance.
The German regional public broadcasting networks were modelled on the BBC after WW2 and although there is a limited amount of advertising, one would expect neutrality, in particular from the advertising-free international networks, arte and 3sat.

John

Yes, Tom, but where you come from everything is commercial ;) and that also applies to Birdforum.
However, one would expect impartiality and freedom from commercial influence from the BBC for instance.
The German regional public broadcasting networks were modelled on the BBC after WW2 and although there is a limited amount of advertising, one would expect neutrality, in particular from the advertising-free international networks, arte and 3sat.

John
Well we do have NPR and PBS... Is there anywhere to hide though? Are we truly safe out there? Ha!

I wrote “ever notice, wonder…” I have noticed. I do wonder. I have no inside knowledge. Seems fair to infer there’s some sort of business connection. No other brand is there. Leads to another interesting question - why not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back