• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby S (1 Viewer)

I think for kids, factors other than FOV and close focus may be even more relevant: eye relief / ease of view with and without glasses, ergonomics for small hands, fun factor (Swarovski spent months with kids to determine the choice of colors).
As to close focus: insects at 2 meters appear less than 30 cm closer in a 7x binocular than insects at 4 m. This difference is rarely that relevant.
And as to Papilio: minimum IPD of 56 mm is a problem for some kids, ease of view is in my view (pun?) okay but not great.
I think the problem would be that the kids have to step back 2m to view the bug, spider or whatever.

See my 3:49 post above. You will see that she is holding the binoculars reversed.
Hi,

point taken - will be interesting how much magnification and afov is achieved then, but yes, that works in a pinch with other roofs too. But you usually have to go very close for a useful magnification - so nice for plants or fungi, not so much for most animals...

As for missing diopter adjustment, yes that might be a bummer in some edge cases, but I tend to be more lenient with that due to 18mm of eye relief.

Joachim, who had both kids who got a papilio use other bins before and thus knew that they were interested and could check needed IPD when the bins were returned...

Can be an interesting bino for hiking. Would be interesting to read reviews when out on the market.

Yes. As with Vortex Bantam 6,5x32 there is no reason this binocular would not be a good option even for adults. The main feature intended for children is the shorter minimal distance between the barrels. And the ocular design is a bit more simple in order to hold down the price, and provides narrower FOV.
But the size is very good for backpacking and hiking.
If the usable ER is sufficient My Junior 7x28 definitely is in my purchase list!

Last edited:
No diopter correction, so not an option for me personally. Apart from that: any 7x gets my vote and a 28 mm objective is good enough for most things.
Really? Check the third photo in post #3: IMO the focus knob clearly shows that the binoculars have dioptre correction, +/-3 diopters.

Hermann

Edit: I was wrong! No dioptre correction!

Last edited:
Really? Check the third photo in post #3: IMO the focus knob clearly shows that the binoculars have dioptre correction, +/-3 diopters.

Hermann
I only see a focussing knob with two pictogrammes at the extremes for distance and magnifying use to make things easier for children. But of course YMMV.

I only see a focussing knob with two pictogrammes at the extremes for distance and magnifying use to make things easier for children. But of course YMMV.
You're right. I just had a look at the "manual", and it's pretty clear there's no dioptre correction.

Sorry about that. My bad.

Hermann

Hermann

Edit: I was wrong! No dioptre correction!

That is really strange. But: if I understand it right diopter correction is only necessary for eyeglasses wearers when using binoculars without eyeglasses. With eyeglasses or contact lenses it should not be required. This means eyeglasses wearers(unless the eye sight is equal for both eyes) need to use the binocular with eyeglasses, which requires sufficient eye relief for eyeglasses.

Hi Hermann and Swedpat,

I initially assumed that the diopter adjustment was like that on the CL Companion,
where you push in the centre of the focus knob - compare it to the knob on the MJ shown in post #3 above.

CL Companion.jpg

However, while the spec’s for the CL Companion indicate a +/- range of diopter adjustment (as do other Swarovski spec sheets),
the perhaps abbreviated (?) spec’s from the main page for the MJ shown in post #4, don’t include a +/- range.

- - - -
And a copy of the much simplified single sheet manual:

MJ Manual.jpg

John

I initially assumed that the diopter adjustment was like that on the CL Companion,
where you push in the centre of the focus knob - compare it to the knob on the MJ shown in post #3 above.
That's what I thought as well.
However, while the spec’s for the CL Companion indicate a +/- range of diopter adjustment (as do other Swarovski spec sheets),
the perhaps abbreviated (?) spec’s from the main page for the MJ shown in post #4, don’t include a +/- range.
Yep. And the datasheet for the MJ is clearly not for the consumption of kids, it's far too technical. Why should it be simplified?

The manual, however, is of course simplified. That makes sense. But have a close look at (4) on the right in John's attached photo:
And a copy of the much simplified single sheet manual:

View attachment 1563223
This means IMO: If you want to focus on something close by, focus clockwise to the flower symbol on the left of the dial. And if you want to look at something far away, focus anti-clockwise to the mountain symbol on the right. Check the third photo in post #3, it clearly shows the symbols.

A few thoughts:
  1. Children have got a far broader accomodation range than adults. Most (but probably not all) children with different acuity in their eyes should be able to use the MJ even if they don't wear glasses or contacts.
    I'm not an ophtamologist so I can't be sure whether this works. However, I'm sure Swarovski gave this a lot of thought.
    Perhaps someone who knows can chime in. Looksharp, where are you? :cool:
  2. If there is really no dioptre correction, the binoculars are a lot simpler to make at a low cost. At the same time there are fewer things that can go wrong and the binoculars are probably more robust. There's a reason why military binoculars don't have center focusing. Simplicitiy=robustness.
  3. The close focus of 4m is IMO also both a cost-cutting exercise and makes the binoculars simpler and more robust.
  4. At the same time Swarovski made sure many adults won't be able to use the MJ satisfactorily. Many adults, especially older adults, need to change the dioptre adjustment from time to time. For instance, when I'm tired or stressed I need to change the dioptre adjustment by ~0.5 dioptres even when I'm wearing glasses. So, even if an adult can cope with the colours of the MJ, it may not really work for them.
    But then adults are probably supposed to spend 4 to 5 times as much on an NL ...
  5. Interestingly Swarovski also seems to have changed the direction of the focuser, making it even more difficult for adults who are used to the "usual" direction to switch.
Hermann

Edit 1: The more I think about the MJ, the more I come to the conclusion that the Swarovski designers went clean off the rocker here.
Edit 2: #5 is not correct. Got confused there ...

Last edited:
That's what I thought as well.

Yep. And the datasheet for the MJ is clearly not for the consumption of kids, it's far too technical. Why should it be simplified?

The manual, however, is of course simplified. That makes sense. But have a close look at (4) on the right in John's attached photo:

This means IMO: If you want to focus on something close by, focus clockwise to the flower symbol on the left of the dial. And if you want to look at something far away, focus anti-clockwise to the mountain symbol on the right. Check the third photo in post #3, it clearly shows the symbols.

A few thoughts:
  1. Children have got a far broader accomodation range than adults. Most (but most probably not all) children with different acuity in their eyes should be able to use the MJ even if they don't wear glasses or contacts.

At the same time Swarovski made sure many adults won't be able to use the MJ. Many adults, especially older adults, need to change the dioptre adjustment from time to time. For instance, when I'm tired or stressed I need to change the dioptre adjustment by ~0.5 dioptres even when I'm wearing glasses. So, even if an adult can cope with the colours of the MJ, it may not really work for them.
    But then adults are probably supposed to spend
Hermann

I understand children don't need to refocus as much as adults. But a problem can be that left and right eye cannot adjust focus independently.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong here.

... But a problem can be that left and right eye cannot adjust focus independently.
Only people with a condition called anisometropia can focus both eyes separately. The German poet Goethe was famous for it and it has become known as 'Goetheblick' in common parlance in German. From what I understand it is not something completely under one's control, but instead one eye is more or less short sighted while the other more or less far sighted. Hence that person cannot one day focus closely with the left eye and far with the right and vice versa the next. Strangely about 3% of humanity have at least a slight anisometropia (ca. 2 dpt).

A newborn has an accommodation of about 14 -16 dpt (even though children do not reach an acuity of 0.6 until the age of three) which works out at infinity to ca. 6 cm. This then goes downhill throughout life until it reaches about 2 dpt at around age 50.

Last edited:
And at what age does that no longer apply I wonder?

I don't know exactly if this changes gradually or if it starts at a certain age. But at around 45 years age I started to have problem with reading a book or newspaper with the eyeglasses on. And now more than 10 years later I have hard to focus at closer than 1 meter.

Edit: The more I think about the MJ, the more I come to the conclusion that the Swarovski designers went clean off the rocker here.
It seems to that Swaro really have lost their way somehow. First we had the Visio which is nothing more than an expensive proof of concept/protoype that will either be a one off or be technologically obsolete in a year or two (with zero resale value in either case). Then we had the 75th anniversary CL at a crazy price due to some fancy pieces of leather stuck on it, and now this. I reckon Zeiss, with their excellent Conquest, SFL and SF lineups are laughing all the way to the bank having captured a lot of the "normal" binocular purchasing market.

This is confusing. In the technical specs it is written:
3 dpt Diopter correction at ∞

Anyway I will get this new 7x28 providing:
*eye relief is fully satisfactory for me
*optical quality is at least on the level of Vortex Viper HD 6x32.

I really like the colors!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back