• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bahia and Espirito Santo, Brazil, solo trip (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Hello all,

I did a bit of a whirlwind solo trip around Bahia and Espirito Santo recently - 20+ days birding in late April and early May. I rented a car in Salvador and went to these sites:

Fazenda Campina – just north of Salvador, one of the best sites for Fringe-backed Fire-eye, which is easy here.
Estaçao Biologico Canudos – the Lear’s Macaw reserve, a good ways to the north, could also be added to a NE Brazil itinerary about as easily as to a Bahia itinerary.
PN Chapada Diamantina – Incredibly scenic, and a good handful of endemics and specialty birds make this one of the must do and most enjoyable destinations in Bahia
Bom Jesus da Lapa – if you’re going to Caetité it is not that much further and gets you Bahian Nighthawk.
Caetité – a bit of a drive but a good site for Minas Gerais Tyrannulet, “Wagler’s” Scaled Woodcreeper, and a good selection of dry forest birds that overlap with the dry side of Boa Nova.
Boa Nova – a classic site, several endemics and specials make this a must do stop in Bahia.
Estaçao Veracel – another classic site with a stack of endemics / specials.
RN Vale do Rio Doce (Linhares) – a long drive south in Espirito Santo, a great place to stay and great birding. Basically the only site for Red-billed Curassow and Minute Hermit.
Mata dos Caetes – further south in Espirito Santo, the site for Cherry-throated Tanager but has lots of other great birds and is a lovely patch of forest.
Reserva Serra Bonita – back in S Bahia, loaded with endemics and specials makes this another classic site. It is a lovely place, one of the most enjoyable destinations of my trip.
Itubera / Michelin Forest – site for Bahia Tapaculo and perhaps “Margaretta’s” Great-billed Hermit though I dipped the latter.

I basically saw everything you can realistically see except Boa Nova Tapaculo (questionable how realistic that one is), White-winged Potoo, and Cherry-throated Tanager.

I wrote up a report about it, somewhat hurriedly, but it focuses on logistical details, locations, GPS points, and access logistics for the sites, as that was all quite a bit of work to pull together beforehand.

I hope it can be of help to some others, and apologies in advance for errors/omissions/brevity of the trip report!

https://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/BECK_Brazil_04_05_2019.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back