• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bank Swallows or Pale Sand Martins? Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Recently observed large numbers of brown swallows feeding over a freshwater marsh in Guangxi, China. Uncertain whether they are Bank Swallows or Pale Sand Martins, and according to the ID guides the two are distinguished based on clarity/definition of breast band and overall darker color brown in Bank Swallow. This has been difficult for me to judge, so submitting some (distant) photos here for help, for those who are more familiar with these species.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC09131.JPG
    DSC09131.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC09132.JPG
    DSC09132.JPG
    987.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC09137.JPG
    DSC09137.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
  • DSC09138.JPG
    DSC09138.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC09140.JPG
    DSC09140.JPG
    791.8 KB · Views: 37
I have never convinced myself I have seen Pale Martins on any of my Asian trips, despite being in the right places at the right times. I think I would need to see both species together to be sure. Can't say either way from your photos, sorry.

I've never seen Pale Sand Martin, but looking at books and the internet, I can't see any easy signs that would visually separate them from Bank Swallows; and a fortiori I think it would be impossible on the basis of your photos.

However, Birds of the World online shows Pale Sand Martin wintering in Guangxi, but Bank Swallow not wintering anywhere in China - maps attached (I hope this counts as 'fair use'). Since it shouldn't be the migration season, at the moment, these should be Pale SM. However, I am not sure that this is reliable information - Mark Brazil's 'Birds of East Asia' shows Bank Swallow wintering along the Chinese coast in Zhejiang and Fujian (and this book doesn't go as far west as Guangxi).

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6 Feb  9.43.23 PM_edited-1.jpgScreen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6 Feb  9.44.29 PM.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back