• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bay Area, Calif. Hooded Oriole? (1 Viewer)

wdc

United States
I spotted this bird this morning at the Upper San Leandro Reservoir. Seemed close to the size of a Robin. The chest and belly seemed fairly uniform in the yellow color through binoculars. My first guess was a female, or juvenile Hooded Oriole, but now, looking at the pink bill, my next candidate is Female Western Tanager.

-Bill

Attachments

• Oriole?.2.jpg
    Oriole?.2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Oriole?.1.jpg
    Oriole?.1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The color of that bill does not seem to belong with an oriole. I wonder if you overestimated the size and it really is a warbler ...

Niels

I believe the “pink” on the bill is an invertebrate prey item, also image 1. appears to show a contrasting white wing bar? This might just add up to an adult female Hooded Oriole?

Just my four pence worth.

Cheers

Last edited:
I believe the “pink” on the bill is an invertebrate prey item, also image 1. appears to show a contrasting white wing bar? This might just add up to an adult female Hooded Oriole?

Just my four pence worth.

Cheers

The bird had wingbars. My initial pattern impression was that of an absurdly oversized Female Lesser Goldfinch. I'm leaning towards Western Tanager at this point, and the beak color then is justified then without a dietary supplement.. But Hooded Oriole was my hunch based on size and overall color.
Thanks for your note.

-Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back