• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beautiful Day in West Mexico (1 Viewer)

SueO

Every now and then, Mother Nature bestows the gift of a really magical birding day upon me. Today was one of those days. I almost didn't go. I thought I should probably pass on birding and take a paperback to the beach instead. I could stay shaded and stretch out on a lounge chair under a cabana. I could take a couple of little swims in the bay to cool off when I got too hot. I have pushed myself physically the last few days and a dozy day at the beach sounded really good.

After my first cup of coffee, I began to rethink that. There was a big do at the resort last night and the large party that did the do would most likely continue the party at the beach and pool area. Also, by then, the calls of the birds, the sunlight, and a warm breeze poured down Peregrine's hatch beckoning me.

About halfway through my second cup of coffee, I made the decision to go birding. Just a short walk today along the drive into the resort. It is irrigated, and the birds can find a lushness not found in the surrounding dry forest. We are at the tail-end of the dry season and the forest is baked and leafless. I know, I know...the wildlife has evolved to live in the dry forest. It's home. Still, why bake in the leafless trees when there is the option of siting in the shade of a large sea almond leaf?

As soon as I stepped off Peregrine, I knew I had made the right decision. It was a beautiful morning. It was a bit late, about 9:00. There was a comfortable breeze, and the temperature was pleasant, about 80 degrees F. My first gift came in the form of a Crane Hawk. Up close. At first glance, I thought it was a Common Black Hawk. It was hiding in a large palm, and when I got my bins on it, it flew to a neighboring palm, and I could see the tail and orangey-red legs rather than thick yellow legs. It jumped/flew from tall palm to tall palm and I got some good views.

I walked down the drive and could hear and/or see Great Kisskadees, Social Flycatchers, Nutting's Flycatchers, Orange-breasted Buntings, Bell's Vireo, Blue Buntings, White-collared seedeaters, Yellow-winged Caciques, West Mexican Chachalacas, Golden-cheeked Woodpeckers, White-bellied Wrens, Ringed Kingfishers, Citreoline Trogons, Great-tailed Grackles, Bronzed Cowbird and Streaked-backed Orioles. Near the end of the drive, I looked up to see the sun light up the scarlet-red crest of a Woodpecker. I thought it would be a Lineated, but it was a Pale-billed. I see it less often than the lineated and she was so beautiful in the morning sun. She stretched her wings and seemed to be dozing, closing her almost reptilian eyes, then opening them, then closing. What a magnificent bird! She is a Campephilus while the slightly smaller and more common (from my experiences anyway) Lineated which is a Dryocopus.

The sun also lit up the cinnamon-colored Gumbo-limbo trees and their peely bark flickered in the breeze and light. Sea almond seeds lay shredded on the sidewalk, remnants of the Mexican Fox Squirrel's breakfast.

I decided rather than go back through the hotel doors to take the elevator down to the pool, beach and marina level, I'd walk down the slightly steep road to get back down to the water. I saw a Cinnamon Hummingbird feeding and it chased a big black bumble-bee like bug away from her flowers multiple times. I've never seen that. My hummers at home don't seem to chase away anything but other hummers.

Other birds seen were Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Mangrove Swallows, Barn Swallows, Black Vultures, Magnificent Frigatebirds, Brown Pelicans, and Heerman's Gulls.

Got back, had a nap and a shower before taking the water taxi into town and having a great dinner of arrachera and chicken tacos with multiple salsas. Perfect end to a perfect day.

Attachments

• pbw2.JPG
    pbw2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • pbw3 (1).JPG
    pbw3 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • tacos.jpg
    tacos.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 6
  • pbw4 (1).JPG
    pbw4 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Sounds like you made the right decision to go for the walk and see the birds. And dinner looks delicious.

Sounds like you made the right decision to go for the walk and see the birds. And dinner looks delicious.
I definitely did. Two days ago I did a 6 or 7 mile walk with a big hill involved. Was out for hours. It was a bit much. Steep and hot. The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be.;) Tomorrow, maybe another easy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back