• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beavers return to the UK (1 Viewer)

If the habitat is suitable, they'll be back. I knew a fellow in Manitoba that blew out a beaver dam over and over. He even dynamited the lodge. There are always new one's waiting to move in.

That being said, if they have taken out all of the food trees, they will leave the area for a number of years allowing the quick growing aspen to recolonize the previous pond bottom and shore. Then a new beaver will move in and start the process again. But we're talking NA beaver now, which isn't quite the same thing as the European beaver, which is what this thread is about.

Scott

deborah4 said:
Thanks for that CW

(did you remember it or use google!!)

I used to lead campfires at a provincial park. Every Canadian kid that's ever been to summer camp knows this one, but I wasn't sure how to represent the "de de" part in print, and I thought you might like the whole song.

Scott

As usual SNH in Scotland bowed to the landowing lobby and seem to have shelved it. Little hope for any mammal reintroductions if they can't get their act together on that one.
Lynx in the Highlands looks very feasible according to a recent study, but guess SNH will shy off from that one too.
As for Wolf, well they won't even carry out a feasibilty study, contrary to their obligations under EU law.

Instead we waste money reintroducing Bustards, from an alien gene pool to European birds, which have now b****d off to France!

John

Me too, CW - sing songs round the campfire I mean (in the girl guides) and remember it from there.

JP - wouldn't introducing wolves maybe solve the over population of deer in the Highlands and avoid the necessity for culling - just a thought

Above all totally unrelated to the thread of course - Ive forgotten what we talking about ... oh beavers. I suppose the point of 're-introduction' is based on the idea wildlife can 'manage' itself better given the chance for adequate diversity of species - in my book that's far better than boom and bust

jpoyner said:
As usual SNH in Scotland bowed to the landowing lobby and seem to have shelved it. Little hope for any mammal reintroductions if they can't get their act together on that one.

Hi John,

Beavers are at very high population levels out here at present - got a massive lodge on my land and quite a few around and about. Since them up there in Scotland can't get their act together, I'll shove a couple in a suitcase just for you and next time I'm headed to the UK, we'll go find a quiet patch of little river ...that should fix it :-O

Jos Stratford said:
Hi John,

Beavers are at very high population levels out here at present - got a massive lodge on my land and quite a few around and about. Since them up there in Scotland can't get their act together, I'll shove a couple in a suitcase just for you and next time I'm headed to the UK, we'll go find a quiet patch of little river ...that should fix it :-O

I know just the spot in sussex. lol

i enjoyed watching beaver in Poland. great little loggers.

beavers in Spain

Does anyone know anything about the beaver reintroduction programme in Spain. I've heard that 18 were released in Navarra/Aragon in 2003 but I can't find any confirmation of this.

Beavers have been extinct in Spain since at least the 18th century. Strabo wrote about Iberian beavers in his Geography:

"Iberia produces many deer and wild horses. In places, also, its marshes teem with life; and there are birds, swans and the like; and also bustards in great numbers. As for beavers, the rivers produce them, but the castor from these beavers does not have the same efficacy as that from the beavers of the Pontus ...And it is peculiar to Iberia , according to Poseidonius, that the crows are black there and also that the slightly dappled horses of Celtiberia change their colour when they brought over to Farther Iberia".

More obsessive Iberian trivia here:
http://www.iberianature.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back