• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beetle – North East UK 8/9/23 (1 Viewer)

MalR

My wife found this beetle in the house last night, and I'd be grateful for any help with ID.

The nearest I could come up with was either box bug or dock bug.

We live in a typical suburban area with gardens, mature trees etc, although there is open farmland within a few hundred metres of the house.

Many thanks for any help.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Beetle.jpg
    Beetle.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 12
Here's the place to look:

I spent 2 mins so may not have found the correct id but looks more like Western conifer seed bug

Note that bugs (Hemiptera) are not beetles (Coleoptera): they're very different insects. It's a bit like saying crabs and lobsters are the same thing !

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to The Fern for the link. Western Conifer Seed Bug does look like a good match.

I also appreciate the heads-up about the difference between bugs and beetles. I think I've always thought of "bugs" as being a bit of a general catch-all term for insects, although I am aware of the likes of shield bugs etc.

Many thanks again. Always learning.(y)

Malcolm

I also appreciate the heads-up about the difference between bugs and beetles. I think I've always thought of "bugs" as being a bit of a general catch-all term for insects, although I am aware of the likes of shield bugs etc.
Yes, "bugs" has multiple meanings that include the non-technical sense you allude to, and narrower more technical senses referring to a sub-group of insects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back