• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night-time call – North East UK (1 Viewer)

MalR

A friend of mine sent me the attached video clip in the hope I could identify the bird call.

His son recorded the bird from his home at 9.50pm yesterday. The house has a lot of mature trees nearby.

I presume it's some sort of owl call. Tawny, perhaps? But I can't recall hearing anything like it before.

Thanks for any help.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Bird call video.mp4
    2.5 MB
Agreed, that is Tawny Owl, the call sometimes described as "warbling". Didn't know it was also called "ocarina", thanks Torchepot.

For a 3 to 4 year old* that is good use of technology by his son.

*(Disclaimer - my toy id skills may not be up to scratch)

Can one of those whirly noise making plastic toys be ruled out though? Habitat seems better ...
Actually, I hadn't considered that. You may be on to something there. ;)

I did try to convert the video clip to audio only, but the format wasn't recognised when I tried to attach the file, by which time my technical skills were exhausted.

Many thanks for the help.

Malcolm

Hello,

I am reluctant to comment, but as you know no offence intendet:
while the recording seems to fit a Tawny Owl good, and it might well be one when the recording shows a sound from outside the house (and then equipment is the reason for shifting the sound. No offence once more).

But I had the same thoughts as Dan. And a quick search provided this:

So while the chosen background brings back memories of fun with cars and racing track again (thanks so much!), can you kindly ask if the recording is fro man object outside the house? Thanks!

No offence taken. Knowing my friend as I do, he wouldn't try to play such a practical joke on me. He just isn't that type. However, whether his son has done this as a joke, I don't know.

I took it at face value (as did my friend), but I'll contact him and get him to ask his son if it was sent as a joke.

Malcolm

Well, I've been in touch with my friend, who has contacted his son. He says it is a genuine recording of a bird which was either on the roof of his house last night or somewhere in the trees very close by.

So, on that basis, presumably the original ID as the warbling/ocarina call of a tawny owl is correct?

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back