• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginners bins (1 Viewer)

eddwillis

I just seen a pair of Bushnell Legend 10x50 porro prism bins for sale .Could anyone please tell me if these are suitable for a beginner to this hobby

I can't speak for that particular model since I haven't used it myself. (Maybe someone else has?)

For a beginner, a lower magnification might be in order. 7x and 8x binoculars are usually easier to focus and hold steady, and usually (though not always) they will have a wider field-of-view. But everyone has their own preferences on this.

Here are a few links comparing binocular models and what features to look for:

The optics forums here might have more too.

i think you need to go somewhere and try a few pairs. I suspect that the Legends are good bins but you need to handled them to see if they are right for you.

close focus is only 18ft..... i'd prefer and 8x42 or 10x42 (I prefer 8x but its personal).

there are number of bins similarly priced. Try a few and see what you think.

Its mostly down to how much you want to spend. 7 day shop do a pair of 10x42's for £9.99+p&p. I've orderd these binocuars today as I've been using my dads, and want to get either a new eyepiece or a digiscoping kit.

You are on the right track, it is a good idea to start with porros. BUT: I am pretty much a 10x guy and even I don't like 10x50 porros.[If you were over here, I could let you have a pair of Meade 10x50s to try out, for the cost of the postage]. 8x40 is good, and even 10x40 or bigger roof prisms. Some are a convenient 500-600g weight, and not so bulky. If you need a 10x for power, get a pocket binocular for backup, something like this

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pentax-10x25-ucf-wp-binoculars.html
or a number of similar reverse porros, Nikon makes a nice waterproof 10x Travelite in the UK. But it is too narrow FOV for general use.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back