• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best all around bins for <$200? (1 Viewer)

Merg

Looking for the best pair of bins that $200USD (£103) can buy. That's not an absolute limit, but I don't want to go much over that.

Current pair - Nikon Travelite V - 9x25 |8(|

...if you can make a convincing case to spend more than that, I might bite...

Last edited:
i take it the Travelite isnt very good- i tried one and it didnt seem very good to me- pretty soon some people will come on and give you some good recommendations, dont worry

exactly nc.t.b., they're dim and have a pretty narrow FOV. I'd like something brighter, with more FOV and weatherproof. I was just talking to a friend, and he suggested it may not be worth it in this price range, and I may want to save up for something in the $500-$600 range. I'd be curious to hear people's take on that as well.

Thanks,
-Chris

the 250-300 range is very similar to 500-600 range. You can get the top three brands there, but only as compacts.

If you google enough, you can find
WB SLC 8x30 Binoculars $664.95
But I will not post the link, as I have never dealt with that store.

Stokes Talon 8x42 for $200 will fit in your budget. I have not seen them.

Last edited:
Merg said:
Looking for the best pair of bins that $200USD (£103) can buy. That's not an absolute limit, but I don't want to go much over that.

Current pair - Nikon Travelite V - 9x25 |8(|

...if you can make a convincing case to spend more than that, I might bite...
Wait for the review(s) on the Leupold Cascade porro 8X42.

The place that has the SLC for sale at that price is one of the worst mail-order fraud companies around. They are notorious for delaying shipment, claiming backorder problems, eventually shipping grey-market items, and upselling and overcharging on a regular basis. They are the kind of place that gives you that low price, gets your money, then hassles you and offers the regular priced version because it is not on backorder, but of course is full price.

Any super low internet price warrants correspondence with the local BBB and research before any contact with the company itself is made. You are better off with a used product from a trusted eBay seller.

There is another place that lists them for $800-850, so that may be the lowest realistic price. Some are display units.

So other than those, what would be the best deal for 600?

I've looked at some Pentax and to me they are in the same category as Nikons that are a little cheaper. If you like 8x32, then there are fewer models, and there is no Monarch 8x32, so Pentax, Eagleo Optics and others make those for 400 and under. But they in fact do not weigh less, so you get a little more for your money with 8x42 and 8x36.

I have the Eagle Optics 8x32 and am just now getting used to the 32mm format. To me most of them are very similar until you spend 900.

Many on here tell me that there is a difference between the Pentax and the less expensive Nikons and Eagle Optics. Your eyes, however, will be the best judge of whether the price difference is worth it to you. A new line of Pentax DCF-HD models is coming out this year but will probably be more expensive due to the exotic lenses, but this could drive down the price of the current DCF-SP.

I can pretty much mirror everyone else's comments. Since you mentioned the 8x32 SPs I thought I would comment on them. They offered, to me, the best combination of portability, image quality and feel for any 8x32 mm binocular under $900. Not the best in every category but a very strong contender and all of that for $350.

I do not remember. I have looked through several Bushnell roofs, and more often I am not impressed by the Bushnells than impressed. There seem to be cheaper models that look better than more expensive ones. The one I was most interested in, 9x25, I never saw.

The Elites are pretty much the only ones that would impress you.

Tero said:
I do not remember. I have looked through several Bushnell roofs, and more often I am not impressed by the Bushnells than impressed. There seem to be cheaper models that look better than more expensive ones. The one I was most interested in, 9x25, I never saw.

The Elites are pretty much the only ones that would impress you.

Impress who?

You, or me?...because I might be easier to impress. ;)

Am I getting you right, that a $300ish pair of Nikons (Monarch PC 8x36?) will be about the same as a $600ish pair of Nikons (Premier SE 8x32?)?

Impress Luca, see previous.

The Premieres will be th only one comaprable with Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski. The improvement should be observable by most people. In addition, quality control on Monarchs is not as good. It is best to buy them in person, examine your pair at the store.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back