• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird guides by region...Asia (6 Viewers)

feedback on bird guide for India (or region). Richart Grimmett
It's the only book worth considering if you're a remotely-serious birder. If you want to cut down on size/weight and on number of out-of-range species to sift through, and if you don't mind buying more than one book to cover multiple trips, consider one of the regional derivatives: Search Results: Bloomsbury Publishing (US)
But the all-subcontinent original is portable enough.

It's the only book worth considering if you're a remotely-serious birder. If you want to cut down on size/weight and on number of out-of-range species to sift through, and if you don't mind buying more than one book to cover multiple trips, consider one of the regional derivatives: Search Results: Bloomsbury Publishing (US)
But the all-subcontinent original is portable enough.
You don't consider the Lynx Ripley guide to be worth consideration?

You don't consider the Lynx Ripley guide to be worth consideration?
It looks to be a great 2 set, but to limit argument, I tend to be a one volume, soft cover, Canadian consumer. Sadly, the cost on this side of the pond is more than I care to invest on a non-birdy first toe dipping trip. But thanks for the reference for me to look at for when I win the lottery :)

I last birded in India in 2005 - at the time, I used Grimmett/Inskipp/Inskipp 1st ed. Am I right in thinking that the 2nd Ed. Birds_of_India is the same book, albeit differently titled, as Helm's Birds_of_the_Indian_Subcontinent? And any views on 2nd vs. 1st Ed.? I'm heading back for a week to visit family in Noida (just outside of Delhi) this Fall (probably October-ish), wondering if a refresh order is justified? I still have my 1st Ed., it appears 2nd dates to 2012, but I'm guessing I could navigate any taxonomic changes since then. Are there other reasons why I'd need to get the 2nd Ed? I thought the 1st Ed. was pretty fab at the time, but...it's been a while.

-Sandy

I last birded in India in 2005 - at the time, I used Grimmett/Inskipp/Inskipp 1st ed. Am I right in thinking that the 2nd Ed. Birds_of_India is the same book, albeit differently titled, as Helm's Birds_of_the_Indian_Subcontinent?
I believe this part is correct even though I have the Princeton version of second ed. Never been to India so not qualified to comment about the differences or usability -- though I seem to remember quite good statements about second ed when it came out.
Niels

Another title in the Princeton Field Guides Series is due for publication in December. I was mildly disappointed with the updated MacKinnon guide but I have higher hopes for this one.

It was not supposed to be published until next week but it seems like it's already out.

Also, the third edition to the Birds of the Middle East in the Helm Field Guides series is due for publication in March next year.

Last edited:
It was not supposed to be published until next week but it seems like it's already out.

Also, the third edition to the Birds of the Middle East in the Helm Field Guides series is due for publication in March next year.

NHBS in the UK has the new Princeton China field guide listed as In Stock and priced at £24.99 (discounted from the rrp of £35).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back