• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best digiscoping camera (1 Viewer)

Hi i'm new to this forum and digiscoping. I have a kowa 611 scope with a 27x eye piece. I know that this is not the best set up for digiscoping but I can't afford a new scope at the moment. The good news is I can afford a new camera so what one is the best one for digiscoping?

Try the Fuji F30/31. The sensor has a superb high ISO performance that will allow you to take decent photos in low light conditions. Unfortunately with a smaller scope you need every bit of light you can get to give you enough speed to freeze the movement of most birds. In decent light you can even get away with hand holding it up to the scope lens. Unlike a lot of smaller cameras the autofocus is also reliable and will lock onto most subjects without any other adjustment on the scope. In the event it doesn't lock on it even has the courtesy to let you know. The only drawback is the dodgy exposure. Normally in sunny conditions you have to set the exposure compensation back by 2/3rd of a stop or even 1 stop or white coloured birds will be overexposed. Other than that its a top camera and highly recommended.

I can certainly recommend the Fuji F30 and F31 (the latter is just a posher version of the F30 with face-detection-not much use for birds!).

I use my F30 with an 80mm scope. Its main strength is its Super CCD sensor, which in practical terms means faster shutter speeds in conditions where you might not even get a shot at all with other cameras. I can use mine at ISO 800 and get very good results (even ISO 1600 or 3200 is acceptable when you really need to get that picture, though grain does start to become noticeable).

Obviously this will be an advantage with your 60mm scope, which will let in less light than a scope with a bigger objective. Even in the summer there are situations where I'm still occasionally wanting for more light with my 80mm, though usually I can get a picture which is acceptable.

Even in acceptably bright conditions your results will be better with the Fuji(less grain etc) as you'll be able to get away with lower ISO settings and still get reasonable shutter speeds.

Just noticed, ikw101 has beat me to it!!

Last edited:
I've got a Kowa 603 plus a 30 w eyrpiece. The F31 is excellent and I'd really recommend it. If you want a cheap adaptor, use the skirt of a light fitting. It just slips inside the eyepiece.You can then bird or digiscope as you wish. The F31 is , as many people report, very good in low light situations.

Samsung NV3

I will vote for the Samsung NV3 which I have only recently purchased having previously used a Nikon 995. Digiscoping for me is secondary to bird watching and so I want to be able to take a few pictures, quickly, without the fuss of adaptors. The Samsung fits the bill for me perfectly as it can be used handheld and still get good results. See an example at

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/144719/ppuser/2232

David

The attached photo was taken in our local park this week ( not a wild bird ). The Peacock makes a nice subject but we can't get any closer than 25 metres so it's a good digiscoping subject. I used the Fuji F31fd for it's fast frame rate and last 3 frames feature ( take 20 , only keep last 3 ). Neil.

Attachments

• peacock DSCF4835.jpg
    peacock DSCF4835.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 195
hi everyone looks like its the fuji for me then. But I must say Davids picture is great!! ps thank you for posting reply's

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back