• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best optics under $500 - Least CA / Most wow factor (1 Viewer)

I cannot confirm that Nikon's service is really that bad, at least here in Germany. I've had to use their customer service at several occasions. In a short, my conclusion is they are slow but generous and they do a good job. For example, they had done the repair service of a loose hinge of one of my pocket bins at no cost even in a case where the fault was clearly on my side as by accident I did let the bin drop at the floor. So far no complaints with their customer service anyway. But perhaps I should mention that in such cases I contacted the official Nikon Service Point here in Hamburg and handed my items directly to them. As it seems there are also Nikon Service Points in the Netherlands. I think this could be the best way to go for in case of a service needed.

Steve

I’ve also had pretty decent service from Nikon in France and the UK. Nikon’s many websites are almost unusable, so it’s sometimes hard to find what to do when you have a problem – but once you’ve figured that out it’s slow but plain sailing.

There is not a single Nikon product I wouldn’t have designed differently in some way or another, but that’s an entirely different question!

There is not a single Nikon product I wouldn’t have designed differently in some way or another, but that’s an entirely different question!

Yes and the Nikon 8x30 EII fails to impress me much those days, mainly because in respect of contrast there are many others that perform better, not to mention its too short ER, too small focus wheel and the fact that one has to touch the bare metal of the prism housing which is annoying in the cold even with gloves on.

Steve

I am still very impressed by my 8 x 30 EII which I purchased in 2002 and used heavily enough over the years to have had to re-glue it's cover back on a couple of times. No doubt newer versions have had newer coatings on their lenses.

It's contrast is outstanding and it is the easiest binocular I have ever used to locate and follow birds. It is the first one I give to inexperienced binocular users when I take them to places like Hawk Mountain and every one who used it was impressed with it. Several years ago I even talked a friend of mine who likes to play the ponies at our local track into getting one and he still raves about it!

And although I prefer eye relief of no less than 15mm in any roof prism binocular I have used, for some reason or other the 13mm ER of the EII has never bothered me, even in the 10 x 35 version.

Bob

Last edited:
The one Nikon porro bin that is still able to impress me is the 8x32 SE. For my eyes it has noticable better contrast than both EII, the 8x30 and the 10x35. At their time, only a few years back, the EII were competitive in respect of contrast and as good as almost anything else out there at the market. But apparently (at least for my eyes) things have changed in the meantime. Technical progress in coating technology have taken a couple of steps forward. In a direct comparison of the SE and the EII the latter seemed almost a bit milky for my eyes.

Steve

The one Nikon porro bin that is still able to impress me is the 8x32 SE. For my eyes it has noticable better contrast than both EII, the 8x30 and the 10x35. <snip> In a direct comparison of the SE and the EII the latter seemed almost a bit milky for my eyes.

The one thing the EII has going for it is that it is a cute, small binocular with a wide field of view, something you don't see a lot nowadays. To me it looks nice and feels nice in the hand. Optically, however, I find the SE quite clearly better, mainly with regard to contrast, but the SE also seems a bit sharper to me in the centre.

I was recently offered one, bought last year in Hongkong, and decided against it after comparing it to the SE in the field.

Hermann

There are a lot of people debating Nikon bins here. I don't think this thread is the proper place. I'm looking for WATERPROOF binoculars for less than $500 with low CA.

Current leading options are:

Nikon Action EX
Swift Audubon
Opticron HR WP

Last edited:
The one thing the EII has going for it is that it is a cute, small binocular with a wide field of view, something you don't see a lot nowadays. To me it looks nice and feels nice in the hand. Optically, however, I find the SE quite clearly better, mainly with regard to contrast, but the SE also seems a bit sharper to me in the centre.

I was recently offered one, bought last year in Hongkong, and decided against it after comparing it to the SE in the field.

Hermann

Yes, the FOV of the EII is nice, of course. However, the guide for Nikon for building this type of binoculars was - once more - Zeiss. In Horst Köhler's famous book "Die Fernrohre und Entfernungsmesser" you can see it at page 189. IMO there is also the example shown for the SE line at page 197.

Steve

Theorist,
My sugestion would be the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 (although I do not know how its performances are) or the Kite Lynx 8x30 HD, The latter I have investigated and it made a very good impression both with regard to handling comfort as with regard to optical performance (large field of view, compact and light weight).
Gijs

The best optics you'll find in this range definitely belong to those BX4 McKinleys. If you are at all worried about Warranty issues, I'd not go with the Swift despite its brilliant optical performance; they were bought out buy a company that doesn't seem to respect the warranties from what I've read.

The best optics you'll find in this range definitely belong to those BX4 McKinleys. If you are at all worried about Warranty issues, I'd not go with the Swift despite its brilliant optical performance; they were bought out buy a company that doesn't seem to respect the warranties from what I've read.

Are they really better than the Swifts? I've read that porros will outperform roofs in the same price range.

Are they really better than the Swifts? I've read that porros will outperform roofs in the same price range.

I have only looked through the non-ED Swifts and not side-by-side, so I can't really compare the two. I was mainly concentrating upon the current warranty issues with Swift Optics; if that was not the case and the occular design fit your face well, I'd certainly recommend the Audubon ED based upon what I've seen from their lower end models. Also, I meant to include "in a roof prism" somewhere in my post regarding the McKinleys but failed to due so.

Theorist,
My sugestion would be the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 (although I do not know how its performances are) or the Kite Lynx 8x30 HD, The latter I have investigated and it made a very good impression both with regard to handling comfort as with regard to optical performance (large field of view, compact and light weight).
Gijs

Gijs:

Now it looks you are throwing a bone, to offer a good thing to say about
a Nikon binocular you have not even tried.

You slighted the Nikon SE, and mentioned you are pleased you have not
made an effort to even try them.

I am not sure about what you have learned at your historical meetings, but I do know you have a lot to learn about binoculars. |=o|

Your credibility is very low in my mind.

Jerry

Theorist, I don't have an Opticron HR WP, but I do have a Leupold Cascade in the 10x42 configuration. The CA is noticeable in these (it doesn't bother me), and I've heard similar things about the 8x42 as well. If CA is a dealbreaker for you, I'm not sure this is a good choice.

There are a lot of people debating Nikon bins here. I don't think this thread is the proper place. I'm looking for WATERPROOF binoculars for less than $500 with low CA.

Current leading options are:

Nikon Action EX
Swift Audubon
Opticron HR WP

I looked at the McKinley 10x42's today and was very, very impressed. A little over Theorist's budget but even with my good glass, I'm thinking about these as well as the Monarch 7's.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back